Behind the Scences: HiFashion Studios Americana Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Dressed in all black, with headsets on and ready for anything, the HiFashion Studios (HFS) team was ready to start the show. On Wednesday, April 3rd, HFS held their spring Americana-themed runway show in Emerson Suites. The show featured around 36 student models who strutted their stuff down the runway. Crowds of students and parents came to watch the fashion event.

While this was a one night event, the planning and work by HFS members spanned months. Led by HFS president, Pedro Maldonado, the different departments (creative, wardrobe, hair and makeup and photography) collectively worked to create a cohesive and impressive show.

As a member of the wardrobe/stylist team, I had the glamourous job of helping pick out the clothes and outfits for the models. We had weekly meetings leading up to the show, discussing how we would convey the theme through the outfits and what vendors we could use to attain the apparel, shoes, and accessories. The day before and the day of the show, we worked day and into the night to compose four outfits for each model. The day of the show, the stylists stayed backstage next to the racks of clothes to help the models quickly change into their next looks. After the show, we took inventory of the clothes, shoes, and accessories and divided them into bags according to vendor. These bags would later be returned to the vendors. While sometimes stressful, it was ultimately a great time working together with the other stylists, departments, and the models.

Pedro Maldonado and Anissa Richmond (Editor In Chief of HFS Magazine) are the only remaining founders of HFS, and their graduation in May will be a difficult loss for the organization. While I am saddened that I won’t be able to be a part of the next runway show in the fall (I’ll be abroad in London), I am excited to see where HFS goes next!       

IC 2015 TV-R major. Loves holidays of all types, concerts, and exploring cities around the world.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!