9 Ways to Procrastinate Homework

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Procrastination, especially with homework, seems inevitable. In college it feels like there are so many other things to do than homework! So the next time you put off your work, consider these procrastination ideas:

1. Watch Netflix.

It’s the obvious choice, but with such a wide variety of shows and movies, how could you not watch it? Just take it one episode at a time for a little homework or study break. 

2. Take a walk outside.

If the weather’s nice, head outside! Walking is easy exercise and can help clear your mind! Discover the natural lands trails, the South Hill Recreation Way or just a stroll through campus. Also, consider taking your work outside with you!

3. Paint your nails.

Do your toenails or fingernails need a new coat? Perhaps you want to add color to your life. Painting nails takes up the perfect amount of time and gives you a good break before getting back to work. 

4. Go to the gym.

Not only will you be procrastinating, but getting a quick workout in will also help keep you healthy! Think of this as beneficial procrastination.

5. Bake cookies.

Who doesn’t love cookies? It’ll be a sweet break from your work and a tasty reward when you do finish.

6. Decorate your room.

This is a fun and inspiring activity. Got a blank space on the wall? Fill it with photos, words of wisdom or a craft! It’s the perfect time to do that DIY project you’ve been wanting to try.

7. Take a social media break.

Again, another obvious choice. You could check your Snapchat or Instagram, take a Buzzfeed quiz or two, watch YouTube videos and stay up to date on current events.

8. Listen to music.

Turn up your favorite tunes and have a mini dance party. Grab your roommates and let them procrastinate with you.

9. Hang out with friends.

Classic, spending some quality time with friends is the perfect distraction from your homework.