7 Top Celebrity Tattoos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Tattoos are a form of art in which your body is the canvas. Through tattoos, one is able to have a piece of art forever on his/her body. Tattoos can be deep and meaningful, or simply fun and random depending on your preference.

Here are some of our favorite celebrity tattoos:

1.     Angelina Jolie

Jolie’s left shoulder blade is inked with vertical rows of Khmer script, the language of Cambodia where her son Maddox was born. The script translates to:

“May your enemies run far away from you. If you acquire riches, may they remain yours always.  Your beauty will be that of Apsara. Wherever you may go, many will attend, serve and protect you, surrounding you on all sides.”

2.     Demi Lovato

Out of Demi Lovato’s many tattoos, the most prominent and well known are the words “Stay Strong” on either wrist. Lovato has been extremely open with her fans about her past struggles with depression and self-harm. During her stay in rehab, many fans tweeted her these words to support her. Getting this tattoo was her way of thanking her fans for all of their support during her darker days. While very personal, this tattoo is one of Lovato’s more meaningful tattoos, and it serves a constant reminder of the love she received from her fans in her toughest times.

3.     Selena Gomez

For her 21st birthday, Selena Gomez decided to get a tattoo. On the upper right side of her back, Gomez tatted Arabic lettering, which translates to “love yourself first.” Many have speculated that the tattoo is a reference to Gomez’s ex-boyfriend, Justin Bieber. Whatever the meaning behind her tattoo is, we can all learn a lesson from these wise words; no matter what, it is crucial that you love yourself first before you give that love away to someone else. Self-love is one of the best gifts we can give ourselves.

4.     Cara Delevingne

For her first tattoo, Cara Delevingne got a lion head on her index finger. The lion represents Delevingne’s zodiac sign, Leo. According to artist of this tattoo, Delevigne originally wanted to tattoo the word “lion” across her finger, but he convinced her to go the extra mile. The lion head on Delevingne’s finger is so intricate and detailed, and it makes for a great tattoo!

5.     Justin Bieber

As of right now, Justin Bieber has more tattoos than anyone can count. He has two full sleeves and even more tattoos in other places. One of his earlier tattoos is an owl on his left arm. The tattoo symbolizes wisdom among other things. Bieber said, “It means a lot of different things. It’s not really for other people to really know about.” Woah, talk about mysterious.

6.     Rihanna

Rihanna is another star known for her love of tattoos. One of her more subtle tattoos is located below her right shoulder. It reads, “never a failure, always a lesson”. The interesting thing about this tattoo is that it is written backwards so it can be easily read when looking in a mirror. Rihanna opted to get this tattoo in gray instead of black so it could be more subtle than some of her other tattoos. Rihanna said this is her motto in life. Every mistake you make in life is for a reason, you should treat your mistakes as lessons, not failures.

7.     Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus’s tattoo pays tribute to her dog, Floyd. Floyd was two years old when he was killed by a coyote. His death impacted Cyrus’ life greatly. She tweeted, “This is unbearable. What am I gonna do without him? The tattoo is simple and cute, and what better way is there to remember a loved one than to have them so close to you at all times?

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7