7 Things to do in Ithaca This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Whether or not you’re new to IC, you probably know by now that it gets pretty darn cold here. Though the inclimate weather is often cited as one of students’ least favorite parts about Ithaca, there are few places we’d rather be during the fall. Now is the time to take advantage of all of the great things that the town has to offer and, luckily for you, we’ve created a definitive list to help ensure you have the best pre-hibernation experience ever:

1. Visit the Gorges

Depending on when you hit up the gorges this fall, it may be too chilly to swim. That doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy the beauty of Ithaca’s natural landscape though. This is a fantastic time to whip out a camera and capture the colorful leaves, while also enjoying a brisk, non-sweaty hike. Ithaca is gorges, after all…

2. Go Apple Picking

Apple picking is a traditional fall activity that’s perfect for #brokecollegestudents. Head over to Littletree Orchards for a great cost-effective weekend activity and a delicious selection of seasonal fruits. They also have homemade doughnuts that are simply to die for. Indian Creek Farm is also another popular choice that won’t disappoint. 

3. Visit the Farmer’s Market

Visiting the Ithaca Farmer’s Market is an absolute must in the fall. There’s fresh produce, local goods, beautiful succulents, delicious food and more. What’s not to love? 

4. Enjoy the Commons

The Commons can be a popular place, especially for freshman. However, this is still a great spot to enjoy as an upperclassmen. There’s plenty of restaurants and shopping, and most students haven’t seen everything there is to offer. No matter your class year though, autumn is one of the best times to get down to The Commons and reconnect with what, for many of us, was at least a part of what made us fall in love with Ithaca in the first place. 

5. Go on a Wine Tour (21+)

The Finger Lakes is known for fantastic wine, so why not get a taste of it while the weather’s still beautiful? 

6. Experience the Magic at Wizarding Weekend

From Oct. 28-30, downtown Ithaca will be completely transformed in celebration of the Harry Potter series. In addition to Harry Potter themed refreshments and goods, guests can also experience events such as a Dark Arts Coffee Tour and Horcrux Hunt. Admission is free, and it’s rumored that the festival will be even bigger than last year. See here for more information. 

7. Canoe Cayuga Lake

Those of us who have had the privilege of visiting Ithaca in the summer know how gorgeous Cayuga Lake can be, and it’s arguably even more stunning during the fall. If you’re looking to get a little fresh air and exercise, grab a light jacket and search for a canoe rental close to campus. 

PC: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.