This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

From crisp air to crunchy leaves, there isn’t a better time of year than fall.

1. Fall Foliage

Trees look beautiful when they’re green, but they look even better when they’re red, orange and yellow. The leaves look so pretty as they fall and when a gust of wind picks them up after they’ve already fallen. Plus, it’s always fun to crunch the dead leaves while you’re walking.

2.  Apple Picking

You can’t live in Upstate New York and not go apple picking. Picking your own apples is so rewarding and so much fun. It also helps that it ends up being cheaper than buying apples from the grocery store.

3. Sweater Weather

Now that summer is over, we can finally wear all of our cute clothes again! Jeans, flannels, sweaters and boots can come out of storage to help us look our best again. Wearing shorts and tank tops was fun at first, but the heat got old after a while. Now, the weather is starting to get chilly enough to wear long sleeves and a jacket, but it isn’t so cold that we have to bundle up completely.

4. Halloween

You can’t talk about fall without mentioning Halloween. This holiday is technically only one day long, but really, the whole month of October is basically Halloween. Hayrides, haunted houses, costume parties, corn mazes and other fun events fill the weekends leading up to Halloween and, if we’re lucky, sometimes they spill into November.

One of the best parts of Halloween is all of the themed movies. For the people who love to be scared, tons of terrifying movies play on TV and you can usually find at least one horror movie in theaters. If you’re like me and don’t do well with horror movies, you can always look forward to movies like Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus. If you don’t have a TV and can’t get to a theater, Netflix has you covered with everything from Goosebumps to The Amityville Horror.

The buildup to Halloween is huge, but the day itself is awesome too! All of the spooky fun builds up so you’re just left feeling happy all day long. Even if you don’t have a reason to wear a costume, it’s still fun watching all of the little trick-or-treaters running around collecting candy. Or you can take the opportunity to lie in bed and eat candy while watching Tim Burton movies.

5.  Pumpkin Everything

Don’t listen to what people say; the pumpkin spiced latte is not overrated, and neither are all of the other pumpkin flavored foods! Enjoy your pumpkin muffins, pies, breads, cookies and more while you can. Once the holidays are over, it’ll be hard to find pumpkin flavored anything.

If you don’t like eating pumpkins, you can still enjoy them looking at them. Pumpkins make great decorations as-is or carved. Depending on the person, carving pumpkins can be super fun or super tedious. Either way, we can all agree that a nicely carved pumpkin looks really cool.

6. Apple Everything

Pumpkin flavored foods are good, but apples are where it’s at. Apples can be used to make so many delicious foods including pies, crisps, jellies, homemade sauces, butters and even donuts! We also can’t forget apple cider. While pumpkins can’t be eaten raw, apples have the advantage of tasting great in pies and straight from the tree.

7. Thanksgiving

Even though Thanksgiving usually isn’t a favorite holiday, it’s still a great one. Thanksgiving is a great excuse to spend time with family and eat until you burst. This holiday kicks-off the holiday season and gives us a much-needed break from school.

1, 2, 3

Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese. 
Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.