6 Things I Didn’t Expect Would Happen When I Decided to Transfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

During my freshman year of college, I discovered that Adelphi University wasn’t right for me and I made the tough decision to transfer to Ithaca College for my sophomore year. I knew I’d have to start over again, but I wasn’t exactly sure what that would mean. After moving in and getting settled, I ran into some surprises.

I have to start over with my major

Even though I remained a journalism student through the transition, none of the classes I took at my previous school count towards my major. Every school runs its programs differently, so this probably happens with a lot of majors.

My classes are filled with freshmen

Most of my classes have “intro” in the name, so it does make sense that a lot of freshmen are taking them. I didn’t make this connection at first, so it was a bit of a shock when most of the people in my classes said they were freshmen. I felt out of place at first, but it isn’t that big of a deal now.

I’m basically a freshman 

It’s confusing when people ask me what year I’m in because even though I’m a sophomore, I’m still a first-year student. I also have to get used to a new campus and the way the school works just like all of the freshmen do, despite the year of college I have under my belt.​

Sometimes I miss my old school 

I wasn’t happy at my previous school, so I never thought I’d miss it. Seeing my friends’ Snapchat stories makes me miss them and the familiarity of my former school and its campus. It’s still weird to me that I don’t go there anymore​.

I’m not alone 

I was surprised when I found out how many other transfer students there are. It’s comforting to know there are other people in a similar situation as me.

I already feel like I belong 

Everyone has been nice so far, and I’ve already made a lot of friends. I’m getting used to my classes, and I’m adjusting to campus life. I’ve even joined a few clubs. Even though it’s only been a few weeks, I know I won’t regret my decision to transfer to Ithaca College, and I’m excited to be a Bomber for the next three years!​

1

Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.