andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Things to Do When You’re Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.
This summer I will be spending two months studying abroad in Vienna, Austria. Whenever I travel somewhere new, I get overwhelmed thinking about all the things I want to do and see. So this time, I’m going in prepared with a bucket list.

Try the local foods and drinks

By far the best part of travelling abroad is eating! It would be a sin to go to Austria without trying all of its delicious signature dishes, like apple strudel!

Learn the language

It can be easy to rely on people abroad knowing English, but that is not always the case. There is no better way to practice my German skills than by trying to interact with native speakers.

Visit Schonbrunn Palace

Vienna is a city that is incredibly rich in history and spectacular architecture, one of the most famous landmarks being Schonbrunn Palace. A former home to monarchs, the palace is surrounded by beautiful gardens and monuments.

Get to know smaller local businesses and sites

Staying in a city for an extended period of time means I get to hit more than just the main tourist attractions. I will have plenty of time to explore the little shops and restaurants that might often be overlooked by tourists.

Ride the Wiener Riesenrad

The Wiener Riesenrad, a 675 ft. Ferris wheel, is an iconic attraction and landmark in Vienna. This ride is a great way to get a view of the city while simultaneously chipping away at my fear of heights.

Take photos!

If you went on a trip and didn’t brag about it on Instagram, did you really go? By taking photos during my stay, I can share them with my family and friends and as well as have something to look forward to revisiting once I’m home again.

1234

Joanna is a senior Applied Psychology major at Ithaca College from Rochester, NY.
Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.