5 Unfailing Ithaca Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

With summer long gone and winter creeping around the corner, fall is upon us here in Ithaca. While we would love to still be wearing sandals, high-waisted shorts and crop tops, fall in the Northeast is one of our favorite times for fashion. Don’t let those chilly mornings and crisp afternoons scare you away just yet. With the right outfit and the perfect pair of shoes, you’ll be on your way to a cute and cozy fall.

Here are a few fall fashion trends on IC’s campus that will get you through the season:

1. Plaid

A versatile shirt, flannels can be worn buttoned or unbuttoned with a tank/shirt, layered over a dress or sweater or even tied around your waist for those warmer days. When the high of the day is 65, but you wake up shivering, you may find yourself cursing the Ithaca sky above you. Just throw on a plaid flannel shirt, and you’ll be ready to start your day.

2. Bean Boots

These boots are perfect for Ithaca weather. You can wear them when it’s raining, snowing or just plain cold outside (aka everyday). Rain or shine, just pair them with a cute outfit and pair of fuzzy socks, and they’ll keep you warm and dry.

3. Oversized Knit Sweaters

Pair your favorite oversized sweater with jeans and boots for a comfy yet trendy look. Or on a lazy day when you’re running late for class or just feeling under the weather, pair a sweater with leggings and moccasins. Add on a scarf and your look will be complete with barely any effort put in (but no one needs to know that!).

4. Scarves

They’re the finishing touch to the perfect fall outfit. Not only do they keep your neck warm when it’s cold out, but they add a pop of color to your outfit. Throw a scarf onto your sweatshirt, spirit jersey, sweater, flannel, dress, anything really, and you’re good to go! Dress it up, dress it down–it’s up to you!

5. Booties

For the past few years, fall and winter fashion trends have leaned toward riding boots. But times are changing, and we say it’s time to whip out your ankle boots! There are so many different styles of ankle boots available now, so it’s hard to choose! For a night out with friends (or that special someone), opt for a heeled bootie. If you’re wearing them around campus, which involves a lot of walking, go for a flat or low-heeled ankle boot; with style and comfort blended into a shoe, what more could you ask for?

Fall in Ithaca can be a frustrating time for fashion. Remember: comfort is key and layers are your friends! Don’t let the cold and windy days keep you from rocking your best outfit!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5