5 (Not so) Hidden Outdoor Study Spots While the Weather’s Still Nice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

1. Muller Chapel Pond

Out of the way from campus bustle, this hidden space can provide both shade and sun for your studies. Grab a good book and some music and lay out on the grass or finish a paper on one of the benches. The only thing that can distract you is the sheer beauty of the pond!

2. Campus Center Roof

Campus Center can sometimes get a bad rep for all things quality, but there’s one spot that not everyone knows about: the outdoor patio on the second floor. If you’re sick of how stuffy the library can get and need some fresh air, it is the perfect place to study. Just be sure on a sunny day to bring sunscreen and some sunglasses. The slate can get pretty toasty!

3. Dillingham Fountains

Everyone on campus knows this gorgeous sight, but even when the fountains disappear, the benches and tables near Dillingham are still a great place to get some work done, or even just share a meal. Nothing beats reading some Steinbeck or finishing a problem set with this beautiful view of Cayuga Lake.

4. Any given Quad

Sometimes studying is easier close to home, which is why any of the residential quads are there for you when walking up (another) flight of stairs is just too much. All of the dorms (except for Towers, sorry guys) have easy access to nice patches of grass and trees for all of your studying (or sometimes sleeping) needs. 

5. Textor Fishbowl (or whatever it is)

Despite the fact that no one on campus is sure what the sculpture is suppose to represent, the roof of Textor is a great place to get some work done! The curved corners of the wall are made perfectly to fit your back. 

Hi! I'm the Campus Correspondent for Ithaca College's Her Campus chapter and a double major in English and Politics (International Studies). I'm an equestrian, a lover of music and dance, and an aspiring writer and avid reader. While my long term goal is to teach political theory at the college level, I am planning to enter the workforce for a few years hopefully continuing to read, write, and edit. Her Campus has been my home since my freshman year, and it brings me so much joy to continue to write and run our chapter in my last year at school.
Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.