The 5 Best Ways to Celebrate Earth Day in Ithaca

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

In a town as “green” as Ithaca, there are endless ways to celebrate Earth Day (April 22)! Here are some of the best:

1. Go on a hike

There is no better way to feel close to nature than to surround yourself in it. There are innumerable spots throughout Ithaca that are perfect for taking hikes. There are even hiking trails on IC’s campus if you are unable to go off-campus.

2. Head down to the Ithaca Farmer’s Market

Eating local is a great way to live more sustainably, which is what Earth Day is all about! Not only is the produce at the farmer’s market amazing and fresh, but there is also a really fun atmosphere. After you buy your food, you can turn it into a delicious meal to share with your friends!

3. Visit the gorges

The weather is finally warming up which means it’s time to go out and enjoy the beautiful gorges. Whether you go for a swim or admire from a distance, the gorges provide a great connection to nature.

4. Check out presentations and movie screenings

In celebration of Earth Week, the club IC Progressives holds a series of events on campus including documentary screenings, a discussion with a professor about climate change and many more. There is also a presentation on Earth Day at The History Center in Tompkins County which will feature the work of IC environmental history students about the historical relationship between people and the local environment. These are all excellent opportunities to learn about environmental issues and hear what other people have to say about them.

5. Study outside

If you’re overloaded with work and don’t have time to spare for Earth Day activities, just moving your study spot outside can be refreshing. The fresh air and sunlight can help you de-stress and you can enjoy the beauty of the outdoors! 

Joanna is a senior Applied Psychology major at Ithaca College from Rochester, NY.