Weinstein and Spacey: The Watershed Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

During the past month of October, a particular name was circling the media, that of Harvey Weinstein. For those who still do not know his name, Weinstein is one of the most popular film producers and film executives in Hollywood, but now he is mostly known for the accusations made against him for sexual assault. More than a dozen women have accused him of sexually harassing, assaulting, and raping them. Week after week, we have seen more women standing and speaking up about an issue that is way beyond Hollywood; an issue that 1 out 5 women experience at least once in their life. The Weinstein scandal has had such a roar that now not only the victims of Weinstein are raising their voices, but the victims of others sexual predators are coming forward with their stories as well. For instance, Kevin Spacey has now been accused of sexually assaulting men and minors.

Although some may not think this is a big deal, they are very wrong. Most victims are terrified of reporting this type of crime. The courage that a victim needs to report her or his aggressor is. Now that something as big as these reports are coming to the lights has happened, we are facing a watershed moment for who? These women and all the victims in Hollywood are not only speaking and standing up for themselves, they are standing up for every victim of sexual assault, harassment and rape. There is hope that such stories may mean that no women, minors or men ever experience the embarrassment that they have felt in their past.       

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, rape is the most underreported crime, with 63 percent of sexual assaults not reported to the police. Even worst, more than 90 percent of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault. Why? Because of their fear, the fact that victims feel powerless to report this type of crimes is shameful.

No person should feel afraid of coming forward because they might lose their jobs, think they will not have credibility or be afraid of the social pressure of “victim blaming”. This is why we need more people with a platform –like the Weinstein’s and Spacey’s victims- to speak up and demand that they be heard. Victims have had enough and they will fight back for the respect everyone deserves.

Our University is firmly committed to maintaining a safe environment free of harassment and sexual assault. If you or a love one has been a victim of any type of assault and need a safe place or somebody to talk to The Prevention Office in Inter San German Campus is there to help. The Prevention Office works under “Título IX” program which prohibits discrimination of sex or gender and sexual aggression. Here are some contact numbers they offer to which you are free to call under confidence if you seek help:

Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥