etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break in Puerto RIco after Hurricane Maria

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Yes, Puerto Rico was destroyed a couple months ago by a hurricane. But please, don’t let that stop you from visiting us during spring break. Many of our touristic areas and our beaches are ready to welcome you. Spring breakers are welcomed and needed. You’ll get to go from beaches to restaurants to museums in different areas of the island. Even though the most known area is Old San Juan — which is also my favorite — there are wonderful places all over the island. You can escape that freezing weather and chill in our tropical one.  

So, here’s five places you need to visit this spring break (and evn winter).

1.  Old San Juan National Historical Site:

One of the most communal areas is Old San Juan, which I recommend. There’s so much to do, from the museums, historical areas and because to the best restaurants. Be sure to include the forts of San Cristóbal, San Felipe del Morro, San Juan de la Cruz (El Cañuelo) and the city walls. El Morro is one of the most beloved landmarks on the island rich in history, where many cultural events and weddings are held.Many that visit have fond memories of flying a kite on the lawn, of El Morro.

1. Cabo Rojo National Wildlife Refuge – Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico (West Region)

This picturesque location is perfect for afternoon hikes and perfect views. After visiting this area, you can head sown to village of Boqueron for great nightlife. The Cabo Rojo Wildlife Refuge is an eco-traveler paradise offering 4 attractions into one, hike along nature trails and lastly there you can visit the Los Morrillos Lighthouse.

1.  The Arecibo Observatory – Arecibo, Puerto Rico (North Region)

If you are into science this is a fun place to be at. For decades the Arecibo Observatory held the record of largest radio telescopes in the world until last year. High in the karst region of the town of Arecibo, you get beautiful views while also learning some interesting information.

1. Cueva del Indio & Seven Arches (North Region)

This spectacular place was one of the locations for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean.When you are looking for a place that is a natural wonder, this is the one. You will find two attractions there, Cueva del Indio (Indian’s Cave) and Siete Arcos (Seven Arches).Cueva del Indio is a significant archeological treasure. This is the cave that contains many petroglyphs drawn by Taino aboriginals and they date back to the 1400’s or possible earlier.

1.  Rincon, Puerto Rico

Rincon is the surfing capital of the Caribbean and it is known for its great surfing beaches year-round and some good restaurants. There are also friendly resorts, and these have private beaches for the perfect getaway.

Best attractions are the beaches and the lighthouse.

There’s no doubt that Puerto Rico was hurt but you are visiting us will help us incredibly. We have so much beauty, so many good foods, great people and a vast variety to explore. These are just a few out of hundreds.

Escape that chilly weather, that snow and all that stress for some tropical relaxation.

Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥