This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Onyx is by far the most social and outgoing person I have meet in our university, he’s not afraid to say what’s on his mind. He was born in Arecibo and raised in Maryland, Washington D.C. When deciding which university to attend, he had many options as he was accepted in New York and a couple of other places. Somehow, he ended  up back in Puerto Rico. He is now studying education in visual arts with a specialization in drawing, at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico,San German Campus. With  a deep appreciation for  education in mind, he wants to complete a master’s degree once he finishes his undergrad studies. He lives in San German and he thoroughly enjoys the city and all its perks by going to all the museums and engaging in its history.  He claims “people should be more curious of their surroundings.”

His professors made him realize that art and its history have infinite importance. He identifies with a lot of Puerto Rican artists and what there trying to project about the island and people’s roots.His artistic style is quite varied but you can always tell that it’s him, influenced by a bit of everything yet he does not want to be pinned down  to a unique style. One thing is certain, though, his art has an deeply emotional aspect. Nonetheless he identified different characteristics in art and how it connects to psychology, writing, painting, etc,. nothing how people think its one big spitting image but it’s not. 

Here are some of the different methods he uses in his art work, followed by an interview:

-Paint

-Ceramic

– Engraving

-Mural

-Prismacolor

HC: How did you end up doing art?

ONSince I was a child, it was always there but I did not expect to end up pursuing it. My family is very supportive of what I do.

HC: What is your preferred medium ?

ON: My preferred medium is charcoal and free hand; it can manifest a flow of emotions.

Carbon drawing @parvdise_lost

HC: Do you consider painting murals more of a challenge than working on a canvas?

ON: Murals are done under pressure. Sometimes in less than seven days. They have to be done fast. A canvas can take longer, making it more of a challenge, but it is better when there’s no due date in specific.

One of his murals “Arasibo” @parvdise_lost

Canvas “Amor ciego de Diego” @parvdise_lost

HC: Do you accept all the commissions that come your way?

ON: No, they have to let me put some of my own work into it. There has to be an understanding between client and artist.

HC: Has anyone or anything in particular, inspired your creativity?

ON: I’ve drawn some people in my life that have taught me something not just any person or thing.

HC: What inspired your creativity?

ON: Society and people it’s an output of the world; a projection of feelings. Books are also a source for my inspiration.

HC: How do you advertise your work?

ON: A couple of murals in Arecibo have my name; people find me through that. I am also in instagram. My handle is: @parvdise_lost

I am so happy to have been able to learn about Onyx’s artistic styles and perspective. His passion and expressive personality towards art and  art history is one to admire and to get inspired by. 

Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥