What You Need to Know About the C-U Favorite, Curtis Orchard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If fall were a location, it would probably be Curtis Orchard.

According to a previous Gallup Poll, more than a quarter of Americans named fall as their favorite season of the year. For those who fall into that percentage (no pun intended), or are just looking looking for a spot to partake in some of this season’s “classic” pastimes, a visit to Curtis Orchard may be worth your while.

Just about anything one would typically associate with this time of year can be found at this hidden gem of an attraction, located just a 15 minute drive from campus in the southwestern part of Champaign.  

Curtis Orchard has been a part of the Champaign community for years. What started out as a modest piece of farmland has now grown into a family-owned local attraction.

According to an article in The News-Gazette, “Curtis Orchard now has 5,000 trees on 80 acres, with a large pumpkin patch on more than 20 acres. Between apples and pumpkins, you’ve pretty much got your autumn needs covered.”

General admission to the orchard is free. Visitors are charged per activity, of which there is no shortage throughout the fall.

At Curtis Orchard, you can spend your day picking your own apples or pumpkins, getting lost in a corn maze, challenging your friends to a game of mini-golf, or seeing and interacting with farm animals up close at the petting zoo.

And for those who prefer not to pick their own produce, the site also features an old-fashioned country store. The shop sells a variety of goods—apple cider, fudge, honey, preserves, donuts…basically anything you would want as a fall treat.

They also offer additional activities that include pony and wagon rides, a sling shot gallery, a giant slide, and on some days, even live entertainment. The types of activities available vary throughout the year (so make sure to double-check before making a trip).

Though some of Curtis Orchard’s options may seem child and family-oriented, it doesn’t mean that college students can’t take advantage of the place as well. Some Illinois students visit the orchard as a bonding activity for their student organizations, or just as a fun outing to participate in with friends or visiting family members.

During certain months of the year, the orchard also opens a Wizard of Oz themed restaurant dubbed “The Flying Monkey Café”, which provides guests with a variety of different lunch options.  According to the Curtis Orchard website, “Mouth-watering favorites include her pulled pork, Italian beef, chili, and delicious sides like cornbread, green beans & hot soup.”

Though the attraction has grown over the years, it still manages to maintain a cozy family-owned vibe that makes it appropriate for guests of all ages. Families and college students alike can visit and have an appreciation for the farm.

So if you’re looking for something to do this season, or are in need of a place where you can take a break from classes and clear your head with some old-fashioned fall fun, consider making that 15 minute drive to southwest Champaign.

As their website says, “Fresh country air and plenty of memories are waiting for you at Curtis Orchard.”

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter