What to Look Forward to for Illinois Homecoming This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
This Saturday, October 25, marks 104 years of Illinois homecomings! According to our campus’s homecoming history, celebrating this special day has been “one of the most enduring traditions at the University of Illinois,” being held continuously since its birth in 1910.

The Illinois Homecoming Committee organized an abundance of activities over the course of the entire week for everyone including students, alumni and faculty members to take part in. Here’s a summary of this weekend’s events to supplement your obligatory blue guy at KAM’S.

Illini Block Party 

This family-friendly event takes place alongside the parade route on Wright Street from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Friday, October 24. Organized by the UI Alumni Association’s Student Alumni Ambassadors, the Illini Block Party is open to alumni, students and the Urbana-Champaign community. The event will include games, activities, entertainment and more. So stop by and get in on the fun!

Homecoming Parade

If you can’t make it to the Illini Block Party, try to catch a glimpse of the Homecoming Parade later Friday, starting at 6 p.m. The parade begins at Sixth Street and Taft Drive in Champaign, leads through campus and then turns south on Mathews Avenue in Urbana to end at the Main Quad. 

In addition to all the cool floats, see the UI band alumni who are invited to perform in the parade with the Band’s Alumni Network. 

Homecoming Football Game

On Saturday, October 25, Illinois will face the Minnesota Gophers. With a current Big Ten conference record of 2-0, Minnesota may have a slight advantage over our Fighting Illini, whose current conference record is 0-3, but come out and support the team regardless! 

The energy surrounding the environment of the homecoming football games each year always guarantees a great, fun-filled time.

“I’m so excited for this game. It’ll be the first game I’ve gone to all year and I’m pumped!” says junior Emily Sheridan.

Are you planning on celebrating with any of these events? Share with us on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #HChomecoming. If you upload a picture to Instagram showcasing your school spirit using #HChomecoming anytime before 5 p.m. tomorrow, you will be entered in our Instagram giveaway contest. Happy Homecoming, Illini! 

Photo Sources:

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.