Travel Blog: The Wonders Of The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

In today’s modern day and age, everything seems like one of the wonders of the world. From the Internet to the architecture of buildings, life is definitely moving in a more technological direction. With all of these new social media crazes popping up on the Internet, it’s no wonder students now want to travel to exotic cities more than any ever before.

Even though I am just a junior at the University of Illinois, I often find myself dreaming of these exotic cities that I see on the Internet. I like to blame Pinterest for this obsession because all of my friends keep pinning photos of the coolest locations and top destination spots on their travel boards. In the last week alone, my list of cities I want to travel to someday has nearly doubled. Thank you, Pinterest. It is ironic how this new technological form of social media connects students with such a familiarity towards traveling without even having to leave campus.

Whether you want to see one of the “Seven Wonders of the Ancient World” or something a tad more modern, start planning your trip now. After all, it can’t hurt to be prepared for the most amazing trip of your life when the time is right.

Personally, I would love to see the “Christ the Redeemer” statue that overlooks Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. This massive Art Deco statue has become an icon of the city and represents the city’s predominant Catholic faith. Located at the peak of the mountain Corcovado, it is no wonder why this symbolic statue is considered one of the wonders of the modern world.

After my trip to Brazil, I plan on going to India to see the Taj Mahal. This white marble mausoleum was build in memory of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan’s third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. A combination of Persian, Turkish and Indian architectures, the Taj Mahal has become a symbol of India and a wonder of the medieval world.

The next stop on my dream trip of the wonders of the world would be the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia. The Great Barrier Reef is one of the wonders of the natural world and rightfully so. Stretching across the Coral Sea, this natural wonder attracts millions of people each year. It is even said to be the world’s largest structure made by living organisms ­— pretty cool if you ask me.

While I plan on visiting the “Christ the Redeemer” statue in Brazil, the Taj Mahal in India and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia someday, there are plenty more wonders of the world for you to check out. You don’t even have to leave the United States to see them! In fact, I bet many students at the University of Illinois have seen some wonders of the world; they just don’t realize it! Some wonders of the world in the United States include the Empire State Building in New York City, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

No matter where you travel to, keep your eyes open because you might see something that counts as a wonder of the world in your book.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!