This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
Three words can be said to begin this post: we made it! Yes, through the snow storms and the hectic drizzles with a spice of hail to add to the mix, we made it. Summertime is upon us.

With the summer solstice beginning on the 21st of June this year, I’ve done more summer planning than a momma bird building its nest (don’t judge me for that comparison).

I’ve got bookmarks for articles proclaiming the go-to summer hairstyles, the hottest restaurants to hit in Chicago when you’re getting a midnight craving, every music festival or loud unsettling music that will be played outdoors and a ton of other stuff that my debit card will hate me for once it’s time to leave for campus once again. 

But what I’m looking for, what I’m hoping every reader will look for, is a time of laughs and joy that can be written down in their specific book of epic times (please don’t cue the violin just yet). And they say music brings joy to the world (they being me and iTunes), so here are some tunes by a group first recognized on Saturday Night Live to not only give you some laughs, but encourage the summer spirit. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Lonely Island. 

1. “YOLO” ft. Adam Levine and Kendrick Lamar 

There was no doubt that this song would be considered on the list. There is never a time more than the summer time where the phrase YOLO will be used to convince oneself to get another scoop of ice cream or spend another night on the beach with friends. The Lonely Island adds a bit of a comedic spin to the song, advising things you shouldn’t do since you “only live once.” Add in a bit of Adam Levine and Kendrick Lamar, and this song can be played while driving along that summer skyline. 

2. “Like A Boss”

The title of this song is self-explanatory. Waking up in the summertime feeling like you’re on top of the world is one of the only ways to guarantee a day where you actually are. Let’s just say that Andy Samberg gets a little carried away with his average day of feeling like a boss. I think he mentions chicken strips somewhere in the song too. I’m in.

3. “Great Day”

Ever wake up thinking, “wow, today is going to just be amazing”? Well, if you do, “Great Day” may be the song just for you. With lyrics like “the birds are chirping tweedly-deet” and “the sun is shining bright,” there’s no doubt that this song is like the start of a great summer day without the stress of a paper to write or exam the next day. Just be sure to remember that it’s by The Lonely Island, so something’s bound to be a little off. 

4. “Lazy Sunday” ft. Chris Parnell 

Every summer vacation deserves a day (or a few if you’re like me) of just sitting around doing absolutely nothing. Unless it involves a good movie and some food, that is. “Lazy Sunday” encourages a day of chilling around, but it’s upbeat enough for some fun. 

5. “Turtleneck and Chain” ft. Snoop Dogg

Snoop Dogg is in this song. Does more need to be said? If so, just think about the days where you’re in such a great outfit, you want to wear it twice so more people can see how great that one outfit was. That’s “Turtleneck and Chain.”

There is still plenty of time to discover new music, events and even things about you this summer. But while you wait, have some laughs with “The Lonely Island.”

Photo sources:
My name is Aaliyah Gibson and I am the future of the entertainment world. I write what you want to read and who you want to read about. But I do it because catching a glimpse into anyone's world besides our own is always a little more interesting than the ordinary, right? I am a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign majoring in Journalism and this isn't the first or the last you'll hear from me. Just keep an eye out. And keep on reading! 
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.