This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Netflix has not only allowed us to binge some of our favorite shows, they have also been creating their own content that has proven to be instant favorites to many. Here are a few of my personal favorite Netflix Originals that I think everyone should check out!

Stranger Things

If you haven’t watched Stranger Things yet, first of all what are you doing, and second, leave this article immediately and go start it. Stranger Things was an instant hit about a group of young teens who end up going through a crazy, supernatural adventure together. The four guys meet Eleven, a mysterious young girl with a lot of powers. Netflix has officially announced that there will be a Season 3, so we have a lot more to look forward to. 

Netflix | Stranger Things

Grace and Frankie

Grace and Frankie is a hilarious show starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. It is about these two women who move in together after their husbands leave them for each other. They form an unlikely friendship while dealing with a complicated situation. There are four seasons currently on Netflix, and Season 5 is set to come out next year with RuPaul to special guest star. 

One Day At A Time 

One Day At A Time on Netflix is a remake of the original 1970 sitcom. It is about a Cuban-American family consisting of a single mom raising two kids. Their grandmother, played by the legendary Rita Moreno, lives with them and reminisces about her days coming to America from Cuba. The eldest daughter, Elena, is an out lesbian teenager and they discuss real issues. There are only 2 seasons on Netflix right now, and it is not confirmed that there will be a season 3 but fans are staying hopeful! 

Queer Eye

Queer Eye is a reality makeover show with a group of “Fab 5” gay men who take a client and transform them to improve their home, style, self-care, and diet. These fun and hilarious five stars each have their own focus including fashion, culture, grooming, food, and decoration. It is a fun show to binge with an 8 episode season 1. Netflix just recently announced that it was renewed for a season 2, so there is much more to look forward to. 

Courtesy of Walmart

The Crown

The Crown is a drama about the life of Queen Elizabeth II, and her journey becoming Queen and ruling England. The wonderfully talented Claire Foy portrays Queen Elizabeth II in the first two seasons, however Netflix has announced they will be casting an older actress to take over the role for the continuing seasons as they get later into Elizabeth’s life. 

Photo via @KensingtonRoyal

picture 1 picture 2 picture 3 picture 4 picture 5                                                             

Media and Cinema Studies Major at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.