Top 10 Must-Knows for Stress-Free, Holiday Gift Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Somewhere between the overindulgence of Thanksgiving dinner and the start of ABC Family’s “25 Days of Christmas,” the ultimate stress of holiday season gift giving begins to creep. In your dreams you could hire a personal shopper to take care of this dreaded duty, but for the average Collegiate, it’s just not that simple. Follow these tips for gift giving and have a stress-free, joy-filled December.

1. Make a list….

And check it twice. Before you hit up those Cyber Monday deals, create a list of everyone you plan on buying gifts for. Parents, siblings, roommates, significant others, your little in your sorority, you’ll want to record everyone’s name so there’s no chance you’ll forget Grandma again (don’t worry, we’ve all done it).

2. Create a budget

Overspending can happen oh so easily during the holiday season. Before you head out shopping, create a budget and stick to it. To help stay on track, blogger Erin Huffsteler suggests, “As you purchase gifts, note their cost in the ‘actual spending’ column of [your budget] worksheet. Then, calculate how much over or under budget you are with each one.” The sooner you start setting aside money to spend on gifts, the easier it is to follow your budget. If you realize your list is way too big for what you can afford, offer to organize a gift exchange or Secret Santa.

3. Know Your Giftees

Once you’ve narrowed down your plan, think about what each person really enjoys doing and go from there. Go beyond what first comes to mind. Have a sister who loves to cook? Instead of buying her a new cookbook, buy her a cooking lesson and experience the fun with her! The Chopping Block in Chicago offers a wide variety of classes. That little bit of extra effort can really go a long way.

4. Bargain hunt

Since most of us are living on budgets more comparable to “Girls” than “Gossip Girl,” scoring the best deals on what you want to gift is a must. Shop around at different store to discover who offers similar products at competing prices. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday, many stores honor a price-match strategy. Don’t you hate when you buy an item and the next week it goes on sale? If you bring in the receipt, most stores will allow you to return it and re-buy it at the lower price.

5. Get your craft on

Don’t worry; you don’t have be Martha Stewart to make crafting a success. “I always find that the best gifts I give are the ones I make myself,” Liz Thomas, senior at UIUC, said. “It’s definitely the easiest way to give something that’s personal and you’ll know they’ll love.” Whether it’s handmade jewelry, a knitted scarf or a hand-painted photo collage, you can create a gift that’ll be worth more than anything bought. Craftgawker.com is a crafter’s dream, organizing blogger’s tutorials by categories such as clothes, décor and jewelry.

6. Gifts you can’t wrap

Everyone has that one person who they can’t seem to find the right gift for. For these pesky people, the gift of experience is often the best way to go. Whether it’s something large-scale, like buying your brother tickets for his favorite ban’s concert, or something as simple as taking your cousin ice skating, these types of presents are often the most meaningful because.

7. Difficult Dudes

Between dads, boyfriends, and brothers, their “get me whatever” attitude makes us want to buy the perfect present that much more. The best way to battle this is by narrowing down what he’s really into. If he’s a music fanatic, see if his favorite band has a collector’s album that would make a cool decoration on his wall. Your dad is a huge Cubs fan? Check out eBay for paraphernalia signed by his favorite player. Quirky books, such as the ones you can find at Urban Outfitters, also make great gifts for guys.

8. Uh-oh, you forgot someone!

There will always be that one person who buys you a gift and you’re left empty handed for them. The best way to avoid this is to have a few “back-up” gifts lying around the house. Purchase a few extra gender-neutral items, such as a Starbucks gift card or a jar of homemade holiday treats, you can gift on a whim. Since these people will most likely be ones you aren’t very close with, smaller gifts are perfectly acceptable.

9. Remember the true meaning of the Holiday season

One of the most important parts of the holiday season, no matter which holiday you celebrate, is giving back. There’s always time to volunteer at the local food pantry or participate in your towns holiday gift drive. Even if it’s donating a few dollars to the Salvation Army, if you can remember one thing this season, remember to give thanks and give back.

10. Treat yourself!

Between creating lists and budgets, hunting down the best deals, slaving away making that homemade necklace for your sister, you’re be lucky if you’re anything but exhausted. Don’t forget to treat yourself this holiday season! Take some time to get a manicure for that holiday party coming up, or buy yourself a new dress for New Year’s Eve. You deserve it! 

Molly is currently a senior at the University of Illinois studying Communication. As a self-described fashionista and retail-therapy junky, she's working towards a career in public relations in the fashion industry. When she isn't obsessing over fashion magazines or watching Law and Order, Molly is very involved with her sorority, where she has served multiple leadership positions.