Senior Sendoff: Wise Words From Four Graduating Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s coming for us, seniors. That’s right: graduation. And while my last article was about what were going miss here in Champaign, this time, it’s our turn to give back. Do you have any regrets? Wish you joined that club? How early should collegiettes start building a resume? Here’s some advice from four UIUC seniors who want to make sure all underclassmen have the low-down about all the ins and outs of the University of Illinois.

“I didn’t really want to admit this to myself yet, let alone in the cyber world, but I am a senior graduating from the University of Illinois this May. My initial instinct to give advice to the younger versions of myself was cliché after cliché. Your typical, ‘time flies, enjoy it while you can’ or ‘study hard but play harder’ came to mind. However, after some reflection, I realized that the greatest gift I was given these past four years has been self-awareness. Mistake after mistake has helped me discover the type of person I am and who I want to become. If you get anything out of college, make sure you learn from your mistakes (oops! Another cliché) and try to understand why you are here in the first place. It’s not enough to say you’re here for an education or to get a good job. Really ask yourself, why are you here? Trust me, it may take all four years to figure it out, but work hard to understand your values and how you can grow as a person. Or don’t, and just exercise a lot because beer makes you fat.”

-Stephanie Awad, senior in Psychology

“As a senior about to enter the “real world,” I’ve come to realize that the University of Illinois has empowered me to be the best version of myself. I have been able to be a part of so many opportunities that I would not have been possible at another institution. With that being said, I advise the student body to say yes to opportunities and experiences because you may never get another chance like this. Don’t let uncertainty hold you back. The worst thing that could happen is that you learn something from it. After all, isn’t that why we are all here?”

-Emily Dygas, senior in Interdisciplinary Health

“As what I like to call the g word (graduation) quickly approaches, I have some simple advice to all the underclassmen. College goes by so fast. Do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to do whenever you want to do it. Take chances, do things that scare you, take a walk on a part of campus you have never been, make new friends, be silly, act crazy and do things that when you look back on your experience here, you can say you couldn’t, and wouldn’t have done it any other way.”

-Jaime Witowski senior is Sociology

“Get involved on campus. The best advice that I was given was to build my resume early. Go to career fairs even if you aren’t looking for a job or think you do not have any relevant experience on your resume. Career fairs at this university are so overwhelming, and it’s better to do a trial run to better prepare you.  But don’t forget to have fun! Not all nights have to be full of partying. Some of the best nights I’ve spent were lying on the couch hanging out with my best friends. Not every college experience will show your best qualities, but as long as you take the good with the bad then you’ll be able to overcome this crazy college experience. Good Luck!”

-Yvette Leon, senior in Chemical Engineering