Seasonal Hairstyle Advice From Salon Owner Analie Papageorge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Colder weather is upon us and between classes, midterms and extracurriculars, hair care can be stressful. So, why not leave it to the experts? Her Campus had the opportunity to speak with Analie Papageorge, co-owner of Steven Papageorge Salon in Evanston, to answer all of your seasonal questions!

Her Campus: How long have you been a hair stylist and what is your favorite part about the job?

Analie Papageorge: I have been a hair stylist/colorist/painter for about 25 years now. I have to say that I love every aspect of my job; however, the best part is when your client walks out the door feeling amazing! We are entrusted with their number one accessory, and it is our job to make sure that we make them feel like a celebrity and empower them.

HC: What extra hair precautions should we take as the weather begins to change?

AP: That all depends on what part of the country you live in. In colder regions where the heat is on all the time and the moisture in the air is at a low – a good sign is that your lips and hands are chapped – you want to up your moisture and stay away from protein-filled products. In addition, I would recommend a hydrating shampoo and conditioner and adding a hydration mask, such as MoroccanOil’s Intense Hydrating Mask.

If you live in the South where it is still hot and humid, you want to up your protein based shampoos and conditioners. It is a balancing game of external factors, mainly the weather. Regardless of weather conditions, you should always use heat protection when using any type of direct heat such as a curling wand or a flat iron.

HC: What are your favorite hair products for different hair textures?

AP: For those who have fine hair and cannot get volume, I love LP True Grip. It is a tiny bottle of instant volume. You sprinkle the powder at your scalp and massage it in, or you can do a light tease.

For curly hair, this is your decade! You always want to start with a co-wash approach, which is conditioning your hair before you shampoo and limiting the amount of times you shampoo. The more you shampoo curly hair, the frizzier it will get. I would limit it to once a week for someone who has a lot of hair and twice a week for the finer haired girls out there. Moroccanoil’s new curl line with curl enhancing conditioner is perfect for the days you choose not to wash.

Coarse and rebellious hair is all about the smoothing. Again, you want to limit the amount of times you shampoo. Moroccanoil Regular Hair Treatment paired with their Blow-Dry Concentrate will give you beautiful flowing hair that should last a week after you style it the first time. You can always restyle with a wand or flat iron to change it up.

I love Living Proof’s No Frizz styling cream for just about everyone. If you wear your hair straight, it will assist in the smoothing while you are blowing it out. If you choose to wear it curly, it will eliminate any frizz. My favorite product for all types of hair is Living Proof’s dry shampoo because it actually cleans your hair.

HC: What are your favorite hair colors for this season?

AP: Balayage is still beautiful and fashion forward. The beauty of hair painting is that it complements your natural hair color and makes it easier as your hair grows out. This season its tone on tone meaning we are keeping you at your natural tone and adding warmer dimensional color.

HC: What are your favorite hair cuts for this season?

AP: Long layers! The bob and lob are on the way out. Longer hair is back in as long as you have it layered. The layers enhance the texture of the haircut and give the support you need if you curl or add a slight wave.

HC: What is the biggest hair mistake you see your clients make?

AP: The biggest mistake is that they over wash and incorrectly wash their hair. When washing, you want to concentrate on your scalp only and avoid deliberately washing your midshaft and ends. The ends of your hair will be cleansed by the shampoo that trickles down when rinsing your hair. Give this a try for two months, and you will see that not only is your hair more beautiful, but it will be more manageable as well.

HC: What is your best hair tip for young collegiates?

AP: Hair is your number one accessory; use quality shampoo and conditioner. If you are on a budget, I suggest using drugstore styling products, but not drugstore shampoo and conditioner.

HC: Anything else to add?

AP: Watch out, perms are making a comeback!

Steven Papageorge Salon is located at 1712 Sherman Ave. in Evanston, IL and has been serving clients for over 30 years. For more information and to book an appointment, call (847) 864-2655 or visit http://www.stevenpapageorge.com/.

All photos provided belong to Analie Papageorge, follow her on Instagram at @balayage_expert.

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter