Natalie Elliott, President of Panhellenic Council

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you are a part of the Greek community at University of Illinois, the name Natalie Elliott is one you should know. Elliott is the President of the Panhellenic Council Executive Board at Illinois and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. This week Her Campus was lucky enough to have the chance to speak with her and hear about her impressive role in the Greek system.

Her Campus: What influenced you to go Greek?

Natalie Elliott: I had no intention of joining a sorority before coming to Illinois. A few of the girls on my floor encouraged me to go through recruitment with them. The sole reason I signed up for formal recruitment was to meet people through the process.

HC: How did you get involved with Panhellenic Council?

NE: Initially, I was involved in my own chapter as Vice President Standards. A Panhellenic Council position interested me because I wanted to be more involved at the community level. Working with the Fraternity and Sorority Affairs staff has taught me an exponential amount about our Greek community.

HC: How has your experience on Panhellenic Council been on so far?

NE: My experience on the Panhellenic Council Executive Board has been rewarding in many aspects. The women on our executive board have now become some of my closest friends. We spend incredibly too much time together, but I have enjoyed every minute of it. Together, we have watched our campus’s chapter Presidents and Delegates take on new challenges and grow as leaders. We’ve successfully executed Pride Events to promote awareness about our community’s values. Panhellenic has cosponsored events with United Greek Council, Black Greek Council and Interfraternity Council to unite our community for enrichment in our own chapters and to promote diversity. With our term more than halfway over, I think our executive board wishes we had more time to make a difference.

HC: How does being on Panhellenic Council help you with other leadership roles you’re involved in?

NE: This role has taught me that true leadership is serving others. Leading is not as much about having the best talent. It’s about contributing to a team effort and completing your work with integrity.

HC: Would you encourage other girls to join Panhellenic Council? 

I would absolutely encourage women to run for a Panhellenic Council position! You can email illiniphcelections@gmail.com for more information regarding our process.

HC: Describe a typical day with your classes and Panhellenic duties.

NE: For me, a typical day starts at seven a.m. I like to study in the morning to prepare for any pop quizzes for the day (don’t we all love those?). I also spend at least a few hours each day at the Fraternity and Sorority Affairs office – preparing for weekly meetings, answering questions from community members and offering support to other executive members in the office. I usually make it back to my apartment for dinner, and then it’s off to my next meeting. Usually I’m home by 10 p.m. when it’s time to finish my homework and catch up with my roommates.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

NE: After graduation, I plan to return to the University of Illinois to complete the Master in Accounting Science program and sit for my CPA exam.

HC: What is one thing you wish you could tell every girl going through recruitment?

NE: They have probably heard this a million times by now, but trust the process! Your time to make an impact in the Greek community starts now.

To learn more about Panhellenic Council and Natalie’s Role, please visit: illinoisphc.com

Photo sources:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Panhellenic-Council-at-the-University-of-…

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.