bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

College students are some of the most stressed out individuals. We’re balancing what feels like a hundred things at once–school, work, social life, extra-curriculars–and it’s taxing. Admittedly, we’re not always the greatest at taking care of ourselves. Skipping meals, staying out a little too late when we have an exam the next morning, hyper-analyzing a text from the cute guy in stats class–we’ve all been there. None of these behaviors are detrimental if done once in awhile, but the stress of trying to balance college life can lead to poor habits. Over time those habits can have larger affects on our health. But with our planners and minds filled to the brim, it’s difficult to recognize when a bad habit or way of thinking is taking over. That kind of recognition requires a certain self-awareness. Thankfully, there is a mental practice that can help us be more self-aware. This practice is called mindfulness. There are a few different definitions (see the end of this article for some links), but I turned to my friend Jenna, a junior in Kinesiology and someone who actively practices mindfulness, to get her perspective.

Q: What is mindfulness, in your own words?

A: In my own words, mindfulness is the ability to acknowledge thoughts and feelings but also the ability to let them go. For example, if I’m feeling anxious about an upcoming test, mindfulness is acknowledging that I’m having those feelings and those thoughts, but being able to let them go. I like to think of it as my thoughts being a cloud. I’m acknowledging the cloud and however big the cloud may be, however big the stressor may be, and I’m able to let the cloud pass.

Q: Why is mindfulness important?

A: Everybody has their own story, but I think that we can all relate when I say that college is stressful and life is stressful. There may be unexpected events in our lives, things that can be unfortunate or overwhelming. Practicing mindfulness re-centers you and gives you the ability to reflect on those things, but also the ability to not let them rule your life or your day. That’s why I think mindfulness is so important.

Q: How has practicing mindfulness impacted your daily life?

A: I’ve been practicing mindfulness for about 8 months now. It was introduced to me through therapy. I was going through some really tough things in my life and the method that we chose to deal with those unfortunate events was mindfulness. At first, mindfulness was frustrating for me because my path of thinking was just escalating all of my thoughts and I was responding in really unhealthy ways. Mindfulness has given me the ability to slow down and be grateful, to really have gratitude for the different seasons in my life. I’ve definitely noticed a different kind of peace that I’ve been able to carry with me and I hope that I’ve been able to radiate that to others as well.

Q: How do you personally practice mindfulness?

A: Recently my mindfulness practice has evolved to focusing on mindfulness in the morning. I lay out a yoga mat before I go to bed, and once I wake up–before changing, brushing my teeth, getting ready for the day–the first thing I do is hit the mat. I’m able to set my mind on the right path for the day. That’s something I’ve been practicing for about four weeks now. My practice has changed over time and it’s going to look different for everybody, but that’s what mindfulness has been looking like for me right now. There are also spurts throughout the day where I find time to practice mindfulness, whether it’s when I’m driving to track practice or walking to class or sitting in the sauna after a workout. So I make one bigger effort in the morning to practice mindfulness and then during some little spurts throughout the day, I re-center myself.

Q: What would you tell someone who is interested in learning about concrete ways to be mindful but doesn’t know where to start?

A: If someone were to be interested in mindfulness, the first thing I would tell them is that mindfulness practice looks different for everyone, so allow yourself to be a little unique. I would start with giving yourself 5 minutes to just reflect on the day. You don’t need to reflect on the past or think about the future; mindfulness is really about reflecting on what’s happening in your life at that moment. Take 5 minutes to close your eyes, slow your breath, and really center yourself. Your practice might look a little different in the future; you might add piano music in the background or you might add some yoga. It looks different for everybody but that’s the beauty about it. We’re all unique, and practicing mindfulness gives you the opportunity to express that.  

Thank you so much to Jenna for sharing her thoughts, experiences, and insight. It was truly inspiring and so very human–a testament to how, in the grand scheme of things, we’re all walking the same road.    

Below are some links that include definitions of mindfulness, why one might practice it, and how one can practice it. Read, discover, learn–then do. Try out some of the suggested exercises. You never know where it may lead!

https://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/what-mindfulness

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/mindfulness 

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/mindfulness/definition#how-cultivate

https://www.pocketmindfulness.com/6-mindfulness-exercises-you-can-try-today/

~~~

Picture 1. Picture 2. Picture 3.

Elli Wills

Illinois '18

Elli has written for the U of I at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) chapter of Her Campus, the UIUC literary arts journal, Montage, and the nonprofit online magazine Culturally Modified. During her time as an intern at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, she also had the distinct pleasure of interviewing a fellow intern for the museum blog -- an experience that only confirmed her love for learning about others and sharing their unique stories. When she's not jotting down ideas for her next article, you can often find her binge-watching anime, practicing yoga, or spending time outdoors.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.