Mia Kavensky and Ilana Steelman, Co-Founders of The Fashion Network

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Champaign may not be viewed as a hub for fashion, but UIUC students Mia Kavensky and Ilana Steelman strive to change that. Kavensky and Steelman recently founded The Fashion Network, a campus organization geared toward connecting students with an interest in fashion. Offering networking and resume-boosting opportunities, The Fashion Network is a (stylish) step in the right direction toward establishing a fashion presence at Illinois. This week, Her Campus got the chance to sit down with Kavensky and Steelman to hear more about their organization and its plans for the future. 

Her Campus: What inspired you to start The Fashion Network?

Mia Kavensky: My first two years of college, I noticed a definite lack of organizations revolving around the fashion industry. Interning for Rent the Runway my sophomore year fulfilled that need for me. When they didn’t come back to campus I was devastated and decided to start The Fashion Network so students who were looking for a fashion-forward club like me would have the chance to connect and create with fellow students. Advertising has AAF, public relations has PRSSA and now it’s time for us fashionistas to have a club that caters to our needs.

Ilana Steelman: Going to school in central Illinois and being someone who is interested in the fashion industry is not an easy combination. Not only does UIUC not offer many classes geared towards fashion, but they’re also aren’t any fashion-related RSOs. I am interested in going into fashion public relations and wanted to join the one RSO focused around this, Rent the Runway. Knowing that Mia had worked as an intern with them, I reached out to her for help with the application process and we quickly created a bond over our love of style. So when Mia and I heard that Rent the Runway was discontinuing their campus program we decided to start our own organization and make it all about building one’s resumé.

HC: Do you have previous experience in the fashion industry?

MK: My closest experience to the fashion industry has been interning for Rent the Runway. However, I have held several event planning, marketing and design internships that have given me skills I can definitely apply to the fashion industry.

IS: I really don’t have much experience in the fashion industry, but I do have a background in the topic. My sister worked for a small fashion PR firm based in Manhattan directly after college and when I would visit her I would sit in awe at their showroom. The bags, baubles and shoes enticed me, and I really loved watching them work through the chaos to get their products placed. I also took fashion design classes in high school and still sketch to relieve my stress. For me, that is what really sparked my interest in fashion.

HC: What are your future goals for The Fashion Network?

MK: My ultimate goal is for TFN to become an outlet for student’s interests. I want it to become an organization where students can achieve that job that they have been pining for. With no fashion major available, it’s hard to get experience in Champaign, so I hope for members to gain it through projects that interest them. This semester we will be working with retail clients, hosting a fashion show, holding photo shoots and other various projects that are portfolio boosters.

IS: I want to create a space where people can advance themselves through fashion. I really want to make TFN a place that fashion buffs and newcomers alike can build their resumé and mold it to fit their respective majors. Another goal that I have is to hopefully expand TFN to other campuses. I know how much this RSO will help UIUC and I would love for other campuses to experience that! 
HC: What challenges do you think TFN may face in the future?

IS: I feel the biggest challenge that TFN will face is that some people may not understand its importance. To many people fashion is frivolous and not an industry worth aspiring towards, but I honestly feel that TFN can strip those stigmas. We can help to build anyone’s resumé, regardless of his or her major and in doing so help to create confidence amongst our members.

HC: What kinds of events are you planning on hosting?
IS: We already have a lot of events that we hope to implement as the RSO grows. Starting out we would like to put on a fashion show fundraiser featuring clothing from local boutiques. We also hope to hold trunk shows both for clothing and beauty products. Another idea we were thinking about was putting on a manicure fundraiser where people can complete their outfit with the perfect nail to complement.

HC: What is your dream job?
MK: I would love to become CEO of a lifestyle/fashion public relations firm and then use that money to create documentaries around the world.

IS: If I could do anything in the world, I would want to be a celebrity stylist … the next Rachel Zoe to be specific. I love that their life literally revolves around clothes, shopping and making people look and feel their best. After all, clothes are a huge part of how people present themselves and I would love to help people find themselves through clothes.

HC: Do you have any advice for collegiettes who want to get involved in the fashion industry?
IS: My biggest piece of advice for any college student who wants to get into the fashion industry would be to never give up on your dreams. I know it’s very cliché, but I truly believe it. If Mia and I had given up on our dreams of bringing a fashion outlet to the UIUC campus TFN would not exist today and all of our members would not have a place to make their own aspirations a reality.

MK: We have meetings every Sunday, so just shoot an email to TFNUIUC@gmail.com to get more information!

You can learn more about The Fashion Network by visiting their website at http://www.tfnuiuc.com/
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.