Meet Campus Celeb: Kelly, @kellyufit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Kelly U., a junior majoring in Agricultural and Consumer Economics and minoring in Human Nutrition, shares her fitness and healthy eating tips on her Instagram: @kellyufit. With over 32,000 followers, Kelly is an aspiring personal trainer and nutritionist, and she is already making her mark on social media platforms.

HC: When did you decide to start dedicating your Instagram to healthy foods and fitness?

Kelly U.: I created my Instagram account at the beginning of summer 2013 under the username “fitpaleolife.” I’ve since changed my name to “kellyufit” because I no longer follow a strict paleo diet. The paleo diet tries to mimic the diets of our caveman (paleo-lithic era) ancestors. This includes meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits and nuts, and omits dairy, grains, gluten and processed foods.

HC: 32k followers! When did you start gaining so many fans?

KU: I am still shocked by how many supportive followers I’ve gained in such a short time. It happened gradually at first, but by nature of the exponential exposure you get on Instagram, that number grew pretty quickly. I really just enjoy sharing my food and love of fitness with like-minded people, and I am lucky that so many people have been able to relate to and enjoy what I put out there.

HC: What is it like to be Insta-famous?

KU: There is a sense of responsibility. I receive so many messages and e-mails expressing interest in my recipes, appreciation for my page and seeking fitness/nutrition advice. I remember sitting on my phone, just hitting 500 followers, and looking up to my Instagram idols. Now that I can be that person to someone else, I feel accomplished and very fortunate. All I want is to inspire people to live healthier and happier lives!

HC: What is your favorite thing about running your Instagram?

KU: Definitely the strong friendships and professional relationships I’ve developed through my page. I have also learned a great deal more about cooking, fitness and nutrition just through scrolling through the feeds of my fellow fitness gurus and foodies. The fitness and food accounts make up an entirely different world within social media. I learned about all of my healthy food tricks and many of my weightlifting routines through the posts of other Instagrammers. 

HC: Do you try to promote other healthy food alternatives for your followers?

KU: I almost always share my recipes and tell my followers exactly what ingredients I use. By using an array of healthy food alternatives and substitutes, I have found many ways to create easy, lower fat, lower calorie, lower carb and higher protein versions of my favorite foods like sandwiches, muffins and cookies.

HC: What is your favorite recipe/product/ingredient?

KU: Quest Nutrition protein bars. They are the greatest tasting protein bar on the market. These taste like dessert every time you eat them. I have been lucky enough to work with Quest Nutrition and host giveaways through my Instagram from time to time, sometimes just for fun or as a prize for my weekly protein baking challenge called “#MakeItBakeItMondays.”

HC: You promote iherb.com on your Instagram. What is iherb?

KU: When I was initially paleo, Whole Foods was the only store that had most of the alternative foods I needed, In addition to being dairy-free, I was gluten AND grain-free too. This became expensive until and I found out about iherb.com through the Instagram “fitfam.” iHerb is an online store that has an enormous selection of grocery items, supplements and beauty products. They have every health and alternative ingredient that I need and at great prices! Ordering is super-convenient, and shipments arrive within 2-3 days of your order. It’s perfect for college students on a budget. I encourage everyone to check it out. Feel free to use my coupon code “LBD569”  for $10 off at check-out!