Internship-Free Summers Don’t Have To Be Bummers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Don’t feel like an underachiever without a summer internship; there is still a lot to do in three months that can fend off summer boredom. Check out these tips on how to stay sane until August.

Take a summer class: The next best thing to having an internship is getting some credits done so that you can have a lighter load during the school year. It’s not too late to register for late start summer classes or even jump into a class that has already started. Take an online class or one from a college near home.

Work, work, work: Babysitting is probably one of the best summer jobs because everyone will be out of school. If babysitting doesn’t seem like the perfect job, find a seasonal restaurant or store and see if they need help for summer. Some places won’t be interested in hiring for just 3 months but if they’re seasonal they’ll be looking to hire for just that!

Get a gym membership: Don’t have time to hit the gym at school between homework and partying? Summer is the perfect opportunity to accomplish your workout goals. Besides, everyone wants to look their best in the summer, so get that gym membership and spend your free time working out!

Get crafty: Crafts are perfect for summertime. Pinterest.com is loaded with tons of Do-It-Yourself projects that can be used to decorate a room or apartment or even spice up clothing. Re-do an old bedroom, make crafts for a dorm or new apartment, or cut up old t-shirts into something new.

Volunteer: Volunteering is a great activity for any season but the summer weather can open up totally new opportunities for outdoor volunteering. Summer also offers a lot of time so if there just wasn’t room for volunteer hours during the school year, there’s no excuse during summer!

Not having a summer internship can be disappointing, but there are only so many summers of fun before they’re not a vacation anymore, so use summer wisely! Use these tips to stay busy and happy all summer long!