This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

This colorful and tasty treat is perfect for the warmer temperature outside, and is good for you too! With the weather getting nicer, it’s time to start thinking about how we want to achieve our health and fitness goals for the summer, and overindulging is not one of them. This smoothie is packed with nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamin C. It tastes so good you’ll forget it’s literally just fruit! The key to getting the perfect consistency is having a nicer blender such as a Vitamix. Anything will work, but with a blender like the Vitamix, you won’t need as much liquid and the smoothie will have more of an ice cream-like consistency. 

Step one: Gather ingredients 

You will need: a blender, one frozen pitaya packet (this is what gives it the hot pink color – I order large shipments of them from pitayaplus.com and keep them in my freezer, or you can order freeze dried pitaya powder from Amazon), and any other frozen fruit you like such as mango, pineapple, and banana. You will also need a liquid base such as almond milk or coconut water. Next, you will need yogurt or a yogurt substitute along with “E3live Blue Majik Spirulina” that you can order from Amazon. Last but not least, don’t forget granola, coconut shreds, fresh mango, and any other fresh fruit toppings you’d like! 

Step 2: Blend 

Blend together 2 frozen bananas, 1 pitaya packet, 1 cup of mango, 1 cup of pineapple, and as much liquid as you need to get the consistency you want! (This is the combination that I do, but you can easily use other fruit – the color will just not be the same.) 

Step 3: Prepare Jar 

Place granola at the bottom of the jar and put fresh mango slices on the wall of the jar. Mix the Spirulina and yogurt together and also put them on the inside walls of the jar. 

Step 4: Pour 

Pour the smoothie base into the jar and be sure not to mess up everything you put on the inside walls!

Step 5: Top

Top the smoothie with shredded coconut, more granola, and any fresh fruit you want. 

Tip: this can also be turned into a bowl by simply switching out a jar for a bowl. This is perfect if you want a bigger portion or want to add more toppings. Enjoy!

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.