How To Create the Perfect Fall Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The season is changing and we are all sad to start seeing the golden leaves fall off the trees, but that doesn’t mean fall is over.  It lives on in our hearts and can start and stay living on in our homes year-round!  We all know the basic color scheme of Fall – Oranges, yellows, browns, anything that gives off a warm tone.  The easiest way to Autumn up your living space is to surround yourself with these colors.  Get some yellow sheets and an orange comforter- or Black if you just want to stick with Halloween!

There are a lot of people who don’t want to go to all the trouble of switching out their bedding (don’t worry guys, I am right there with you) and would rather put in minimal effort to max out the fall feeling, and I’ve found a few things that will do the trick, even if you are stuck in the dorms.

The first idea is a take on one of countryliving.com’s fall crafts, a Candy Corn Button Art.  That alone gives off a nice fall feeling for many of us, but to some candy corn is just for Halloween.  The solution for those of you that do? Do the button art of whatever reminds you most of fall!  I reccomend leaves in mid-color change. All you need is to find material large or small enough for your purposes – this could be corkboard, paper, anything as long as it will stick with glue.  You will need a hot glue gun for this most of the time (I have the crazy idea that if you use the cork you can use tiny fall colored pins to keep the buttons on but I have not tried it – if you do let me know how it works!) and buttons of your choosing.  They can range in style, size and color and the more you mix and match the more interesting and personal your design becomes.

Another easy DIY decor choice is hanging lights.   I know, they are the most overused trick and you already have three sets hanging in your room- but that is why it is perfect.  All you need to do (depending on the type of light, is get ping pong balls of different fall colors and cut them to fit them on every few lights, or if you are lucky and already have lights like those, draw patterns in colors on them that make you feel like fall.

The last craft I will leave you with is also from our friends at Country living, a take on the ever popular Mason Jar decor.  Again, this one should be easy because you probably already have Mason Jars for other things and you can just repurpose them until the autumn inclination fades.  Cover the inside of the jar with golden and orange leaves, and place a small fake candle (this is important so you do not burn the leaves if they are real or melt them if they are plastic) and let the glow warm up your desk. This one is time sensitive if you want real leaves, but it is easy to get nice fake leaves for it as well.  I recommend the IDEA store for almost anything craft related, they have so much stuff you may find what you weren’t even looking for!

Sorces:

http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2013/09/candy-corn-button-art.html

http://www.sparkandchemistry.com/blog/leaf-mason-jar-candle-holder

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter