Health/Fitness Blog: Crunchless Abs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With the countdown to Spring Break ticking down, it’s time to kick your workout into high gear. If you want great looking abs without ever having to do another crunch, give these crunchless abdominal exercises a try.

1. Quadruped
While on your hands and knees, reach out your right arm and left leg. Connect your elbow to your knee under your body rounding your head and your back. To increase the difficulty, hold a two or three pound weight.

2. Exercise ball with weights
Lay your back on the ball and lift your arms to the ceiling keeping your hands over your shoulders. Alternate moving your right and left arm back, so that they are parallel to the floor.

3. Medicine ball alphabet
Hold a 5-15 pound medicine ball at chest level and write the cursive alphabet. Use your abs to keep your torso still.

4. Weight Twist
Squat slightly with feet shoulder width apart holding a dumbbell in front of your waist with your elbows bent at your sides. Twist your torso while keeping your elbows glued to your side.

5. Leg Beat
Lie facedown, resting your forehead on your hands. Lift both legs a few inches off the floor and alternate beating them into a V shape.

6.  Side plank hip lifts
Lie in a side plank, resting on your forearm, with your other hand behind your head. Keeping your torso steady, lower your hips a few inches towards the floor, then return to the plank position. Do this on both sides.

7. Jackknife with exercise ball
Lay on your back with your legs straight up and hold an exercise ball behind your head. Lower your legs a few inches and bring the ball up as you bring your legs in.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!