This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Hair products are no joke. No one wants to have split ends, dead hair, or a bad hair day. I picked out what I believe to be the necessities when it comes to hair products. As a college student myself, I understand it is a struggle to buy the name brand overpriced products that the salons sell. These products are reasonably priced and get the job done just the same. 

Dry Shampoo 

If your hair is starting to look greasy or flat and you do not have time to wash it, no worries. Dry shampoo can be a lifesaver on days you oversleep or do not feel like washing your hair. I recommend Batiste Original Clean Dry Shampoo. You can buy this product at target for a mere $6. I found it an inexpensive dry shampoo that truly works. A common misconception of dry shampoo is that only blondes can use it, but there are dry shampoos out there specifically for brunettes. A key to remember when using dry shampoo is that less is more!

Hair Spray

Hair spray is a product too many women do not feel they need, but why spend time curling or styling your hair if you do not use hair spray to set it? Your hair could fall faster than the time you spent styling it. When applying hair spray make sure you spray it evenly over your hair. If you spray one spot too long, you will have chunks of hard, crunchy hair. Believe me: that is not a cute look. I absolutely love Tresemme Tres Two Spray hair spray. This is another product you can get from Target for just $5. 

Purple Shampoo

This product is used more directly for blondes. It helps remove the yellow looking roots, and turn them into a more naturally looking blonde, the kind that you get in the summer from the sun. This is not a product that needs to be used every day. Typically, using purple shampoo once a week should do the trick, but if you feel you need it more often twice a week is also acceptable. I am not a blonde, but my roommate uses Not Your Mother’s Blonde Moment Treatment Shampoo. She started using this product around November, and I noticed a difference within two months. You can purchase this product from Ulta Beauty for $8. 

Anti-Frizz Serum

This is by far the product I could not live without. My baby hairs always want to fly away. Using a few drops of this serum before I leave the house is a game changer. I do not have to worry about having little hair all over. However, you want to be careful how much of this product you apply because using too much can cause your hair to look flat or even greasy. I swear by Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine, and the best part is it is $5 from Target. Since you are only using a few drops a day, the product lasts for a while.

Heat Protector

I am not sure about you guys, but I am constantly using heat tools on my hair. Whether curling or straightening my hair, I do it at least three times a week. I should have fried my hair off by now, but thanks to Garnier Fructis Flat Iron Perfector my hair still remains healthy. This is a mist that you spray on before you straighten your hair. I also use it when curling my hair, and it does the trick just the same. This product is less than $5 on the companies website. 

Your hair is important, remember to take care of it. I hope these products keep your hair looking beautiful!! 

Photo 1  |  Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4  

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.