This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There are countless ways to give to others or to the earth–running for a charity, helping with a park clean-up, etc.  During the winter months when cold weather isn’t ideal for outdoor activities, however, there is always the option of purchasing a product from a company whose mission involves something like environmental preservation or supporting local artisans.  Below are three companies who fit that bill, selling cute and quality clothing and accessories while also donating a percentage of their profits to a good cause (or, in the case of the third company mentioned, setting a quantitative goal per item sold).  

Serengetee

Started in 2012 by two college students, Serengetee uses fabric from more than 25 countries to make their products.  By purchasing fabric from so many places, Serengetee “support[s] artisans, their families, and ancient fabric making traditions.”  What’s more, Serengetee gives 10% of their profits to grassroots causes.  Their most popular product is arguably the pocket tee, which is probably where the company derives its name from (Serengeti, the east African plains –> Serengetee).   

Happy Earth

Happy Earth designs “unique products that are manufactured with eco-friendly practices”, which is in line with their mission of encouraging discussion about environmental issues and finding global solutions.  50% of Happy Earth’s net profits go toward “promoting conservation and sustainability.”  They even include on their website a list of organizations to which they have donated money, showing consumers that they really stand by their mission.  

tentree

This company plants ten trees for every item purchased, hence the name “tentree.”  In fact, their goal is to plant 1 billion trees by 2030.  With 16 million trees already planted, it’s safe to say that they’re intent on making it happen.  The best part is that achieving their goal will not just help the earth; it will help all of us who inhabit it.  For example, tentree works to “identify the regions that will benefit most from [their] planting”, noting that “not only does reforestation revitalize dry arid soil and provide a substantial oxygen supply, but it directly benefits locals living in the area by providing wood for fuel, food, and fodder for livestock, as well as permanent and seasonal employment.”   

The above brands and so many more are working toward a greener future and helping people live fruitful lives.  Consider purchasing something for yourself or as a gift!  Give back in style.

Picture 1.  Picture 2.  Picture 3.

Elli Wills

Illinois '18

Elli has written for the U of I at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) chapter of Her Campus, the UIUC literary arts journal, Montage, and the nonprofit online magazine Culturally Modified. During her time as an intern at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, she also had the distinct pleasure of interviewing a fellow intern for the museum blog -- an experience that only confirmed her love for learning about others and sharing their unique stories. When she's not jotting down ideas for her next article, you can often find her binge-watching anime, practicing yoga, or spending time outdoors.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.