Food Blog: A Taste Of Rome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I have yet to meet a pasta dish that I don’t enjoy. It was all too wonderful that I spent last semester studying abroad in Rome where I tasted the most delicious pasta dishes ranging in simplicity, flavor and ingredients. I traveled all throughout Italy and enjoyed the famous dishes of each particular region.

I may be slightly biased, but my favorite Italian dish was a Roman delicacy – Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. I could eat this every night of the week. There are so many different Carbonara recipes that it is impossible to grow tired of this flavorful and fabulous pasta dish –recipes including bacon instead of pancetta, cream, no cream, with rigatoni, with spaghetti, and so on. Whatever variation you decide, the must-have ingredients for this recipe are egg yolks, black pepper and cheese (parmesan and pecorino). One could easily Google search the ingredients and preparation needed for this Roman delicacy. However, I was taught how to make Spaghetti Alla Carbonara by the chef of a Michelin star Roman restaurant – so trust me, this recipe is good!

Whether you are looking to wow guests at a dinner party or simply prepare dinner on a Tuesday night, you can have a taste of authentic Italian Cuisine in your very own kitchen in just minutes!

Ingredients: (per person)

2 Egg Yolks
1 Tbsp Pecorino cheese freshly grated
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese freshly grated
2 oz. Pancetta
4 – 6 oz. Spaghetti
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Fresh ground pepper

First, prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the spaghetti will be hot and ready when the sauce is finished. The heat of the pasta cooks the eggs and cheese. Cook the pasta between 8-10 minutes or until tender yet firm (al dente).

Meanwhile, gently mix the egg yolks and then add the cheeses (pecorino and parmesan) in a bowl, stir well to avoid lumps. Do not scramble the eggs! You just want to thicken the sauce.

Around this time, you will want to tend to the pancetta. In a sauté pan, heat on medium and add olive oil. Cut your pancetta into thin pieces and throw it into the sauté pan. Add salt. Sautee until crispy – this should not take long!

Once your pasta is cooked, drain well. Put the pasta back into the pot. Now, slowly add the sauce while stirring simultaneously. Once the pasta and sauce are mixed together, add the pancetta. Use the remaining juices in the saucepan and pour into the spaghetti/sauce pot. Stir together. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese and a dash of pepper. Plate your dish, and you’re ready to serve!