Five Tips To Avoid Being Catfished

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Every now and then, you might find yourself lacking in the love department and desperate to meet someone new. Sometimes it might feel like you just can’t meet anyone compatible. In these extreme situations, many people turn to social networking. If you’re attempting to talk to someone online, it is important you take caution to avoid being “catfished.”

Catfished comes from the MTV hit show, Catfish, that allows everyday people to meet their online loves in person for the first time. For those who don’t know what it means to get catfished, here’s a brief explanation:

A catfish is someone who takes on a fake identity using Facebook or other social media websites. Most people who do it pursue it to form deceptive online romances.

To avoid falling victim to online deception, I’d recommend the following tips.

1. Don’t be afraid to go into detective mode.

Usually, if someone has a social media page, you can find other information about this person somewhere else online. Don’t be afraid to Google them or do a little snooping through their page.

Look at things such as their tagged photos! Are other people commenting on these pictures, are they even in photos with other people? Are all their pictures only headshots or modeling photos? Does only one person comment on their photos? It is easy to distinguish what a fake profile looks like compared to a real one.

2. Reverse Google Image Search

Thanks to Nev on Catfish, the public now knows how to Google search photos. Just type in: http://images.google.com/ and go from there. This tool allows you to see if their profile picture exists in other places. If nothing comes up, it might be time to ask some questions.

3. Ask them to Skype!

This is a huge one! Don’t settle for excuses. If they cannot give you five minutes of their time, they don’t deserve you at all!

4. Ask to meet in person

Make sure you meet in a public area or even ask friends to come along. If they avoid meeting up, they’re either lying about who they are, or they’re not serious about you. Don’t wait months to meet them, schedule this as soon as possible.

5. Trust your intuition

Most of the time your gut is right! If you sense red flags don’t ignore them. Most of the time there is something up!

The world of social media is a great place to connect with new people, but be sure to check up on those new friends. And to the people pushing fake accounts, remember, the Internet is made up of real people with real feelings. 

I'm Yele Ajayi and I'm a freshman at Univ. of Illinois majoring in broadcast journalism. I love writing, dancing, and singing. :D