Five items you need in your closet this fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The time has finally come: the precious few weeks of weather that you can wear fall clothes without covering them up with a parka. The perpetual summer that Champaign was experiencing is finally over and has made me more than ready for crisp autumn weather, and more importantly, the clothes that come with it. The feeling of finally being able to break out my fall wardrobe is so exciting, and these five items are the ones I’m most excited to wear.

Mules

Menswear for women is a huge trend this season, and can definitely be a little intimidating at first. I love this unique take on a classic item. The embroidery makes this trend wearable to me, and gives a touch of femininity to it that I need to feel comfortable. But, there are so many fun takes on this shoe available this season. From patterns to different color suede, to classic black leather, these are sure to spice up your fall wardrobe.

Leather Pants

Leather pants were seen frequently on the Fall 2017 runway, with the likes of designers like Zadig & Voltaire and Calvin Klein. I think they’re a great essential for the upcoming season. They can be dressed up to be worn for a night out or can be paired with a cozy turtleneck and booties for a polished twist on a typical fall outfit that Sandy would definitely approve of.

Suede jackets

This fall, I’ve found myself skipping over the classic leather jacket I usually go for and reaching for suede ones. I love the contrast of suede over all of my chunky sweaters. I have one in both burgundy and tan, and know that I will be wearing them all winter as well.

Over-the-knee boots

These are a classic item to invest in that you’ll get wear out of season after season. These make even the most basic leggings and sweater outfit look polished and put together. They’re versatile and a great investment.

A one-shoulder top

Only one of your shoulders need to be cold this season. I’m so excited for this trend and for the transition from off-the-shoulder to the next chic rendition of the top: one shoulder. There are countless variations of this style of tops and dresses for the upcoming season, and I think it’s far more flattering than the off-the-shoulder that’s been around for over a year now.