Fashion Blog: Travel Stylishly and Comfortably

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When you look out at the bevy of passengers swarming about hurriedly at the airport, you can see all sorts of emotions written on people’s faces: stress, excitement, anger, impatience. There are many questions that swim through the minds of travelers consistently. Did I lock all the doors? Did I pack my charger? The last thing people are concerned about is what they’re wearing. Another thing people in a rush don’t think about is packing the essentials and doing so lightly. My frequent flyer miles aren’t piling up, but I have learned a thing or two, and still am, about packing and dressing comfortably, but still being stylish.

All right, I’ll admit it: sweatpants are comfy, and yes, my feet have touched Uggs and Crocs (the nerve!), but the airplane is not your home! I live by the rule that sweatpants are only for the gym or home. They have started being trendy with heels, but few people can pull that off. Leggings are comfy too, but higher on the scale of being stylish.

You don’t have to look like you stepped right off the red carpet, but who knows, maybe during your two-hour flight to New York, you’ll have the luck of sitting next to some delicious eye candy. You don’t need to forsake comfort for the sake of fashion. Check out some of these tips:

1. Layer up!
Even as the weather heats up, you still need to bring a sweater or large scarf onto the plane. By utilizing layers, you can ensure that you’ll be properly dressed wherever you are! You can even use that light outerwear as an extra blanket! Why wear sweatpants when you can wear a dress that’s just as comfortable, but way more stylish? Or if you enjoy crossing your legs and don’t want to flash the flight attendant, throw on a pair of leggings with an oversized tee!
Here, Jessica Simpson travels comfortably and stylishly with her adorable pup:

2. Shoes
The TSA requires us to take off our shoes when going through security. Do you want to be that person fumbling with all the straps on her heels? Or that person clattering along to make the gate before it closes? No. I’ve worn combat boots, sandals, and wedges to the airport, but never heels. I’m the type of person who hates holding up the line, so if you do decide to wear shoes that are hard to take off, at least remove them before it’s your turn.

On long flights, you want to wear shoes that are easy to take off so you can stretch out your toes. Hopefully, your feet don’t bother the people around you! Wearing ballet flats, loafers, and comfy sandals are ideal.

Try these Sam Edelman loafers:

3. The right bag
I learned the hard way lugging a giant Longchamp Le Pliage with no shoulder strap around New York and the subway that carrying the right bag is essential. For short trips, a carry on should be enough. Think about how much you’ll have to be lugging your bag around after you check out of your hotel.

I like the Longchamp Boxford, which has a shoulder strap!:

But I’m also into backpacks now because there is less strain on one shoulder. I’ve been looking for the perfect backpack to hold all my essentials and still look awesome. This backpack would also be the one I’d pack emergency gear in at the off chance that a zombie apocalypse occurs… or a more plausible natural disaster.

The Herschel Little America backpack is my ideal choice until I find a better one:

You should be able to pack three to four outfits, a pair of shoes (or two if they’re sandals and flats), your laptop, chargers, makeup and toiletries! You’ll look less like a tourist, too!

Speaking of looking like a tourist, security bags that hold your passport and money may look pretty lame. I’ll admit I was pretty embarrassed of my dad when he had this under his clothes in addition to a fanny pack (which totally marks you as a tourist!). But they do offer a level of security that a simple purse or wallet in your back pocket might not.

Travel safely, smart and with style!