Essential Guide to Packing the Perfect Purse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

You’re getting ready to go out, and you’re so excited to use that new, studded clutch that you got for your birthday. One problem: it’s too darn small! Whether you’re just bar-hopping, crashing at a friends apartment or shacking with that cute guy you’ve had your eye on all semester, packing the perfect clutch is an important skill for all Collegiate women to have.

The clutch and small side-purse are both the go-to going out bags for UIUC Collegiates for a night out at Red Lion, an apartment party or even a frat party. The key thing to remember: these bags are small!

On a day-to-day basis, our purses tend to be bigger and can carry much more stuff. Not to mention, we tend to need much more when we’re running from class to work to the library. “I normally carry a laptop, my folders and writing utensils for class,” Lisa Aronova, senior at UIUC said. “I also bring my wallet, headphones and various chargers depending on my day and where I’ll be studying or going.”

Although these things are daytime essentials, they aren’t necessarily nighttime necessary. Making the transition from day bag to night bag can be tricky. We just have so many things that we want to bring out with us!

Just remember, it’s all about bringing the bare necessities. Must haves for your nighttime clutch are money and your ID and maybe some other personal necessities.

“In my night time bag, I carry lip gloss, gum, my keys to my house, my ID, $5 for cover and $2 for a cab home,” Missy Brottman, senior at UIUC, explained. “I try not to bring more money because I don’t want to spend it carelessly.

Because nobody wants to be that girl with the giant bag at the bar, Aronova similarly brings her bare essentials. “Aside from my debit card, cash and ID, I tend to bring a small bottle of perfume, ChapStick and maybe some eyeliner.”

Can’t seem to make everything fit in your bag? Buy yourself a small wallet that can fit your cards and money and that can easily slip into your bag like one of these ones below.

However, your go-to essentials may change if you plan to stay the night at friend’s apartment or at your new fling’s place. For an impromptu sleepover, make sure to grab your toothbrush and some toothpaste, because nobody likes morning breath.

“I really only need my toothbrush and tooth paste [for a sleepover,] because I can always wear the same clothes to get home the next day, but no one likes stinky breath,” Brottman said. Aronova agreed, but added that she likes to bring face wash or wipes with her, as well, to wash off her make-up from the night.

When going from day to night and transferring your things from bag to bag, don’t forget the essentials: money, your ID and your key. Even if you just have those three things, you should be set for a great night out! If you’re planning on spending the night with someone special, don’t forget to pack your toothbrush and toothpaste. You’ll thank me in the morning!

Photo Sources:

http://bravuramagazine.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/its-clutch-time/