Emma Weissmann, Former National Geographic Intern and Aspiring Journalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Ask any young journalist and they’ll tell you the same thing: their dream is to have a career writing for a successful magazine and living in a beautiful city. But how many can say they’ve made that dream a reality before graduating college? Emma Weissmann, senior at University of Illinois, is one of those people who has. Check out our latest Campus Celebrity and her aspiring advice to other journalists on campus!

Her Campus: How did you discover that journalism was what you wanted to study?

Emma Weissmann: My dad is a journalist and my parents met here in Champaign in the ’70s on the staff of the Daily Illini, so I guess you can say journalism is in my blood. My dad still works as a journalist, and my parents have always encouraged me to write. I’ve written for my school papers since fifth grade, and just never stopped. So, when it came time to pick my major, it wasn’t a hard decision at all.

HC: Can you tell us about your experience with journalism on campus?

EW: This is my fourth year working for the Daily Illini. I started as a general assignment news reporter, then worked on the Champaign city beat for a few months. After that, I worked for a year as an assistant features editor and now I am the special sections editor there (planning and producing all the supplemental sections at the DI). I also wrote for The Spread and designed for them for a year.

HC: Can you tell us about your internship at National Geographic? How did you get involved with it?

EW: I worked as National Geographic’s editorial intern in Washington D.C. for 10 weeks over the summer through the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) internship program. I actually found out about the internship through the College of Media, and then submitted a cover letter, resume and two letters of recommendation. When I found out I got the ASME internship, I received a list of 25 magazines and had to rank the top five I would prefer to work with, and then submit a small essay to the respective editors. When I found out I got National Geographic, I couldn’t believe it! I was so excited to work with such a respected organization and to explore Washington D.C.

HC: What was a typical day like working this summer?

EW: I can honestly say that every day was a completely different experience (but never boring). Sometimes I worked with the online news team, writing news stories, Q&As or captioning photo galleries for the editors. Other days I worked with the video team, and I also had the opportunity to take research classes, help staff writers with front of the book pieces and create a country briefing book on Azerbaijan for the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine. It was a blast!

HC: What was your favorite part about your internship this summer?

EW: My favorite part was definitely being able to work with such talented and successful journalists. Everyone I met was driven and inspired to help the planet and the world around them, and I learned a lot from everyone I worked with there.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

EW: Right now, I’m not sure. I will probably be applying to internships and jobs in the next few months, but right now I’m focusing on enjoying my senior year.

HC: Do you want to continue to pursue journalism?

EW: Absolutely. While most of my experiences are with newspapers, I really enjoyed my magazine internship this summer. I think when it comes time to look for jobs, I will be looking to magazines first.

HC: What advice would you give to any young writers who want to find a similar internship?

EW: Apply for everything! I didn’t think I was going to get ASME, and was shocked when I did. I was shocked again when I found out I got my first choice of magazines. It wouldn’t have happened though if I hadn’t applied. Another piece of advice would be to practice the craft. Challenge yourself with the stories you write, learn from your mentors and keep applying yourself in any way you can.

Photos courtesy of Emma Weissmann

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.