DIY Projects to Improve Your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Life can be hard when you’ve got expensive taste with a college budget. Making your room, whether it’s your dorm, apartment, or bedroom at home, your own and trendy can be hard if your wallet isn’t too deep. Luckily for me, I found some great Pinterest ideas to spruce up my room while sticking to a budget. Here are a few of the projects that I have accomplished and some that are on my to-do list this summer!

Wood Headboard

This is my favorite project in my room that I have done. It is definitely the first thing you notice when you walk in the room. It was a bigger project, and if you want to attempt it, you should get someone who is savvy with tools to help you out. I had my dad help me with the structure of the headboard and putting it together, and then I stained it. It is a wow-factor for sure. I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good project!

Wood Planks for Pictures

This is a really simple project that can make your room feel super homey. All you need is 3 or 4 thin, wood planks, some nails, some type of wire or twine to clip the pictures on, and a clothes pin or any other kind of item to clip the pictures to the wire or twine. I used a stain that I found at home, but you can use any wood stain you want that goes with your room. I also used twine and clothes pins because I liked the rustic look it gave to my room. 

Mason Jars

Mason jars are the cutest accessory to any room. They are so versatile with all the things you can do with them. A simple and cute thing that I use them for is a vase. I found some fake flowers to brighten up my room and put them in mason jar. I also use a mason jar for holding loose change, and it is another cute topper to a desk or dresser. 

Wood Crate

I found a grey-stained wood crate in my basement and knew I had to use it for something in my room. So, like I always do, I searched Pinterest for a cute use for this crate. I decided to use it as a mirror stand. It gives a lot more design to the room and turns just a typical mirror into a statement piece of the room.

Cinder Block Nightstand

I love using typical items and using them for something different. I came across a cinder block used as a nightstand and wanted to try it right away. I haven’t gotten to this project yet, but it is the first thing on my to-do list for my room this summer. 

Photo

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.