Dad’s Weekend Restaurant Guide Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
Dad’s Weekend, where some students have been anxiously awaiting their dad’s arrival for the past few weeks, while others have absolutely no idea what they are going to do with their family. But luckily, we’re here to help! One of the most important aspects of Dad’s Weekend is planning where to eat and you want to show your dad the best spots this campus has to offer. A good restaurant can effect your whole experience and, more importantly, prove to your family that there is more to Champaign-Urbana than just cornfields. Check out part I of our Dad’s Weekend restaurant guide and our other top restaurant choices below.

Crane Alley is a great restaurant that has a very laid back atmosphere. With some of the best food in Urbana, it also provides a fun activity for your family with a bar and tons of pool tables. The menu offers just about everything from blackened barbecue salmon to a turkey pita sandwich. Another great aspect about this hidden gem is that it is indeed hidden. It promises to not be too crowded over the weekend.

If you’re looking for a delicious lunch, then the Sun Singer is the place to go. They have the best sandwiches, salads, soups and cheese spreads in the entire area. This is a great place to take your dad because it has a fun environment. It is a wine bar café filled with tons of cute drinking accessories. The only potential downfall is that it tends to boast more of a crowd than Crane Alley.

Seven Saints is a downtown Champaign staple. From salads to sliders and delicious sides, there is something for everyone. This is a great place to take your family if you’re looking for something casual and comfortable.

“Seven Saints is my favorite restaurant and my family loves it too! I took my parents over Homecoming weekend, and my dad loved filling up on all different kinds of sliders,” Elizabeth Deuel, senior, said.

If you’re looking for a step up from bar food in Champaign-Urbana, then Bread Company is the place for you. It is very warm and homey inside with a great menu featuring delicious fondue.

Another great option, Bacaro seems like it could be set in the middle of downtown Chicago. Another wine bar, this spot is amazing. It’s a great choice for any 21+ collegiettes who want to show their dad a different side of Champaign.

For even more recommendations, check out the first part of our restaurant guide.

Photo sources:

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.