CU Street Style Blog: Surviving Finals Week in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Any college student releases an automatic groan at the mere mention of the words: finals week. All of your friends are flustered or simply frustrated, and you are no different. With all the madness that ensues during finals week, fashion seems to get lost in the mix. Obviously, trying to figure out what shoes match with your outfit is not at the top of your list when you are mumbling formulas under your breath for that upcoming chemistry final. This being said, Her Campus Illinois feels that its readers should survive their tests and look amazing doing it.

1. Try to avoid baggy clothing and pajamas.

At times, it is hard to avoid falling into the habit of wearing pajamas to class in a college setting. The fact of the matter is that it just makes a person look lazy. Also, not everyone wants to see those Hello Kitty pajamas as much as you do. Those baggy pajamas bottoms or shorts could easily be traded in for some comfy leggings with a tunic. Even though finals are definitely the last place that someone wants to be, there is no reason to dress like it. Be professional, or at the very least, presentable.

2. Plan out your outfit the night before.

Nothing makes the morning of a final more stressful than scrambling around the room to make an outfit from a mountain of clothes. Planning out your outfit for that day ahead of time takes off a lot of time and unwanted stress. Before you go to bed, lay out a nice pair of jeans, a sweater and some flats. When you wake up in the morning, the transition from half-awakened zombie to well-prepared college student will be flawless, or as flawless as one can be during finals week. With the added minutes that you save, more can be put toward some last minute cramming!

3. In the end, comfort is everything.

While this may seem hypocritical after banning pajamas, this guideline is probably the most important when planning an outfit for finals week. Without comfort, that two-hour exam is going to feel like days. The key to comfort is a happy medium between loose and tight clothing. Instead of a sweatshirt, try a long-sleeved tunic! Replace those pumps with a safe pair of flats. If you have your hair up that day, you could even wear a wrap headband to spice up your look. During this time, less is more. Try to stick with simple colors and focus more on the exam at hand.

The key to a healthy finals week is all about preparation and moderation. Make sure to take breaks from studying every few hours and always stay comfortable. Stay stylish, but do not focus too much on this. Remember: academics always come first.

From the staff at Her Campus Illinois, we wish our readers a safe and productive finals week! Good luck and happy studying!

Director of Social Media at Her Campus Illinois and Aspiring Theatre Critic
Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!