The Collegiette’s Guide to Email Signatures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Email signatures: some have only seen them, some have their own, and some probably don’t know much about them. Whether you’re a first year college student or a graduate who is hunting for jobs or who already has a job, email signatures act as micro-mini resumes that give people a snapshot of who you are and what you do. Most email services have a preference or settings option where you can find a selection for setting your own custom signature that automatically attaches to the end of every email you send. So the next time you send an email, make sure to keep in mind the following tips and examples for creating (or perfecting) your own sweet and simple email signature block.

Content: There are three key elements to an email signature, which are your name, major position(s) you hold/where you work, and your contact information, like your cell/work phone number. When listing your phone number, make sure to indicate whether it’s a cell or work number. People either indicate the type with (c) for cell number and (w) for work number. Others may prefer to write “cell” after their number. Some people like to include their email address, but if you’re emailing someone, they’re likely to see your email address. As a result, including your email address in the block may be redundant.

If you’re involved in a handful of activities, pick the most important positions you hold. College students typically include their college, their graduation year, and their major, as well. Another thing to consider would be any legitimate websites that represent you. For instance, if you’ve created your own website that displays the work you’ve done, an online resume, and perhaps a written blog, you can go ahead and include the link in your signature. However, an example of an unnecessary web link would be your personal Tumblr.

Format: Below, you will find a few basic outlines for signatures.

Sometimes, people also like placing certain items of information into one line. An example of one-line formatting is below.

Brevity: Heinz Tschabitscher, writer for About.com, states that email signatures should be no more than five lines long. On the other hand, Tracey Lawton of traceylawton.com suggests that signatures should be kept no longer than six to seven lines. Keep conciseness in mind as you formulate and arrange your information.

Simplicity: Email signatures can be an eyesore to read through if there are different font sizes and colors. It’s a good rule of thumb to keep things simple to avoid distraction and detraction. Most people generally bold their name and/or type it in a larger font size than the rest of the signature. Others may also choose to bold their primary position at a job. Additionally, employees at companies may include their company logo in their signature block, which is fine as long as it does not look visually unappealing or clunky. Otherwise, try to keep the signature uniform and straight forward.

Good Examples of Email Signatures:

Bad Example:

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!