College to Career: Land Your Dream Internship with These Resources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

While winter break is gearing down and school is starting back up, now is the time to take your future into your own hands. What are your plans for summer? For many collegiettes, an internship is in the cards this summer.

No matter what your interests are, take advantage of all of the resources available to you and start your internship search now! Here are five resources to help you begin your journey of landing that perfect summer internship!

Her Campus Careerette

Since you’re already reading Her Campus, start here. There is a section dedicated to internships and job listings on the Her Campus national site, known as Careerette. Whether you are looking for a school credit option, paid, unpaid, or an internship in a specific industry, there are plenty of listings to choose from. Companies such as MTV, Birchbox and AOL have posted listings here in the past. And if you check right now, you might even be able to score an internship for the spring semester!

InternQueen.com

One of the top internship and career experts in the nation, Lauren Berger, who visited campus back in October, had over 15 internships during her college career and has dedicated her life to helping collegiettes find similar opportunities. In addition to a internship and career advice blog, InternQueen.com website has an internship search engine where you can specify location and industry to find your dream career and make it happen. The website offers opportunities in industries ranging from politics to marketing, music and fashion.

LinkedIn

Think of Facebook profile meets your professional resume. LinkedIn is a social networking service that allows you to make professional connections. You can personalize your profile to include all of previous work experience and connect with individuals for internships and jobs alike. 

Illinois Career Center

Being one of the top public research universities in the United States, as an Illinois student, you should seize the opportunities for career counseling, resume and cover letter reviews, mock interviews and more provided by the on campus career center! In addition, I-Link, the Campus Job Finder, is an employment recruiting system for students and recent alumni. Thousands of jobs are submitted on I-Link annually including campus opportunities within the University that take your education into consideration.

Ask a Professional

Lastly, seek the advice of any professionals you know in your area of interest. Oftentimes, these individuals are more than happy to connect with you and might be able to offer insider information on internship or job listings. If anything, reach out to these contacts to seek a job shadow or informational interview to learn more about an industry you’re interested in!

Photo sources:

http://completelyyoursevents.com/internships/

www.hercampus.com/careerette

http://www.internqueen.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/

https://www.careercenter.illinois.edu/

Lara Hanus

Northwestern

Lara is a junior at Northwestern University majoring in Communication Studies with specialization certifications in Integrated Marketing Communications. After finishing her bachelor's degree at Northwestern, she plans on pursuing a career in corporate communications within the entertainment, fashion and beauty industries. Lara is the go-to girl for fundraising and event planning. When not studying or working, Lara enjoys traveling, shopping, cycling, and attending music festivals. 
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.