Cole Griffin, One of Our Newest Male Writers!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Sex and the City’s Stanford, Will from “Will & Grace,” Kurt in “Glee.” Popular in media, the gay best friend plays an important role in a woman’s life: assuming activities that boyfriends would rather not, providing the male perspective on fashion and relationship questions and offering advice that your female friends just aren’t capable of. While not everyone can be as lucky as a Carrie or Grace to find a friend like this, Her Campus Illinois provides the next best thing. Used to offering advice to his female friends, Cole Griffin recently joined our team to offer his gay male perspective as a supplement to our usual content. Upon first meeting him, Cole was one of the easiest people to talk to and just as funny. Both his sincerity and sense of humor translate over to his columns, and we’re sure you’re going to love him as much as we already do. Read on to get to know one of our newest male writers!

Her Campus: Tell us about yourself.

Cole Griffin: My name is Cole P. Griffin and I like to use my middle initial so that I can associate with Mary J. Blige. I also have several nicknames: Versace, Colgate (like the toothpaste), or Griffin. I grew up in Chapin, Ill., which is a small town about two hours south of Champaign with a population of 500 people on a sunny day. When I was 19, I set off to live in New York City and I was there for four months. That experience has inspired me to work hard in school so I can move back and continue where I left off. I would recommend New York to anyone I know, I love it there! I am a junior studying communication with a minor in journalism. I am also on track to get my public relations certificate. Some of my hobbies include riding my scooter on the warmer days or reading books in different parks on campus.  

HC: Why did you want to join Her Campus? As a male, were you intimidated joining a magazine that is completely geared toward collegiate women?

CG: I wanted to join Her Campus for the challenge. I wanted to be forced to stand outside the box and write for a specific audience instead of the general public. So when I am writing, I usually picture my best friend, Jenna, reading these articles and it helps me stay on track. I am still intimidated writing for college-aged women, but I like the experience so far.

HC: What advice can you give students about doing something outside of their comfort zone?

CG: The easiest thing you can do is to not be afraid and to put aside any preconceived notions you have about what you’re about to do. So if you have never tried deer meat before, pretend it’s hamburger and the spaghetti will taste great!

HC: What are your career aspirations?

CG: I want to succeed. I have so many different aspirations, but I want to stay optimistic about my future. I like the idea of corporate communication careers or writing for a newspaper or magazine, but I haven’t quite decided yet. I could be a writer or a pop sensation, but I’ll let you know when I figure it out!

HC: When you applied to join our team, you mentioned that an interviewer once asked you to describe yourself using five adjectives. How would you answer this question now and why?

CG: I think my answer may have changed since that interview. I would be more honest with my interviewer because I want them to know who I actually am. I want them to see me as more than just a resume in a nice suit. That being said, I would say that I am: funny, caring, confident, loveable and determined.

HC: This is your first year on campus. What’s your favorite thing about the University of Illinois?

CG: Since I transferred in, I would say that I love the students and the culture of this campus. I love seeing people having fun on the Quad or laughing along with their friends. It makes this place enjoyable and feel like home.

HC: We’re glad you feel so at home here! Now quick, answer: chocolate or vanilla ice cream?

CG: Rocky Road!

HC: If you were a type of pizza, what would you be and why?

CG: Ranch sauce with chicken, green peppers and roma tomatoes from Papa John’s. That’s my favorite pizza and it basically describes my love life at the moment.

HC: Favorite movie?

CG: If anyone has met me they would know it’s a tie between “Pretty Woman” or “Thelma & Louise.” “Slippery little suckers.”

HC: Going anywhere for spring break?

CG: I am considering Seattle after my recent obsession with “Grey’s Anatomy” on Netflix.

HC: Little known fact?

CG: I have a twin brother! Cody serves in the Army and is currently deployed to South Korea for another year. I’m the older and better looking twin, but he’s my best friend!

HC: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

CG: Cody once told me, “If you want to succeed, you have to make sacrifices.” Anytime I am faced with something or someone leaving my life, I know it will be worth it in the end.

Photos courtesy of Cole Griffin

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.