Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois Archives

You Haven’t Seen Him in How Long?: The Truth About Long Distance Relationships

By Leah Parekh
March 3, 2014 - 7:00am

Entering my senior year of high school, I had a very strong opinion about long distance relationships in college: don’t do it. Take a break; date other people. If you both still miss each other after some time, go from there. That “strong” opinion of mine has taken quite the turn, as I’m a freshman involved in a  long distance relationship, and I am more than happy with that decision. READ MORE

What is your favorite kind of cake?

By Lidia Fitasova

Essential Guide to Packing the Perfect Purse

By Hayley Eselevsky
March 2, 2014 - 4:00pm

You’re getting ready to go out, and you’re so excited to use that new, studded clutch that you got for your birthday. One problem: it’s too darn small! Whether you’re just bar-hopping, crashing at a friends apartment or shacking with that cute guy you’ve had your eye on all semester, packing the perfect clutch is an important skill for all Collegiate women to have. The clutch and small side-purse are both the go-to going out bags for UIUC Collegiates for a night out at Red Lion, an apartment party or even a frat party. The key thing to remember: these bags are small! READ MORE

Show Your Stripes

By Rebekah Hakimian
March 1, 2014 - 7:00am

Your nails could be the next Pinterest sensation. All you need is your OPI Black Onyx polish and metallic gold paint pens and you have classic dark winter nails with some added shine.   READ MORE

Love: A Long-Standing Engagement

By Melissa Espana
March 1, 2014 - 7:00am

People do things at their own pace, especially when it comes to life changes like marriage. My fiancé's name is Noe, and we got engaged this summer after being together for over two years. I didn’t tell any of my friends until I requested a candle pass at my sorority house during work week, and then suddenly, everyone knew. READ MORE

Female Issues: Olivia and Mary Jane: The New Generation’s Black Woman and the “Power Couple”

By Markeira Davis
February 28, 2014 - 7:00am

Women everywhere patiently wait for every Tuesday and Thursday evening so that they can watch “Scandal” and “Being Mary Jane.” As much as I enjoy both shows, I dislike their content to the highest degree. Shows like these strip away the morality of successful black women, and women in general. They either are depicted as undesirable, intimidating and “highly selective” or the new common depiction, side chicks. “Being Mary Jane’s” proceeds to tell the tale of a successful black woman that has affairs with married men. Is there no other route? Is that how the high-salary, nicely dressed and solely independent, black woman finds love? Is she always forced to dabble in another woman’s already written love story?...

On the Fringe

By Rebekah Hakimian
February 28, 2014 - 7:00am

The inner hippie in me draws me to want to wear these boots all day, everyday. READ MORE

Meet Campus Celebrity: Saige Hooker, Executive Photographer at Impulse Magazine

By Abigail Solano
February 27, 2014 - 7:00am

Saige Hooker is completing her last year here at UIUC, graduating a year early. As the executive photographer for Impulse Magazine, Saige has been hard at work, and Her Campus had the opportunity to speak to her and learn a little more!  HC: What's your major/ minor? Siage Hooker: Advertising and Public Relations. HC: How/ When did you get involve with Impulse? READ MORE

Mixing Alcohol and Diet Soda Could be Dangerous

By Mary Alex Japczyk
February 26, 2014 - 7:00am

Collegiates are constantly trying to find ways to cut calories and be a little healthier. But no one likes making big sacrifices, so we look for tasty substitutes. When hitting the town and picking our poison each evening, many of us opt for drinks mixed with diet sodas instead of regular in an effort to cut the sugar content.   “I’ve only ever seen girls, never boys, order drinks with diet soda,” Rachel Whiteside, senior at UIUC and a bartender at Joe’s Brewery on campus, said. “I think they use it as a mixer for less calories.” READ MORE

Meet Campus Cutie: Alex Borushek

By Katie Sullivan
February 25, 2014 - 7:00am

Name: Alex Borushek Year: Sophomore Major: Political Science Hometown: Wilmette, IL Greek Affiliation: Phi Delta Theta Relationship Status: On the prowl Celebrity Crush: Alex Morgan What’s something nobody knows about you? I’m an avid fan of “The O.C.” Favorite place to eat on campus? Maize READ MORE