Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois Archives

How to Be An Independent College Woman

By Abigail Solano
April 9, 2014 - 7:00am

As students, we are all around the same age and have had similar experiences including getting driver licenses, going on trips and moving into an apartment for the first time with roommates. These are experiences that transform us all into independent, young women. So, what do you do when you get a flat tire or clog the toilet and you don’t have your dad, brother or boyfriend around to help you?   It is so crucial for women at this age in time to know how to do these “manly tasks” on their own. Emma Newman, a junior at UIUC, explains, “Women and men are equal, so there’s nothing a woman can’t do that a man can,” she said. “Most times, women end up doing it better anyways.”  Each collegiate woman should know how to do these following “manly tasks” all on...

Meet Campus Cutie: Billy McGivern

By Katie Sullivan
April 8, 2014 - 7:00am

Name: Billy McGivern Year: Junior Major: Mechanical Engineering Hometown: Evergreen Park, IL Greek Affiliation: Sigma Phi Epsilon Relationship Status: Single ;) Favorite Date Spot on Campus: KAM’S Favorite Exchange Theme: Jack Murphy (Sigma Phi Epsilon 15’) and Riley Vaughn (Alpha Phi 15’)’s Wedding by far READ MORE

Five Guys Every Girl Will Date

By Yele Ajayi
April 7, 2014 - 7:00pm

No matter how much control we try to take over our love lives, there are some things that are unavoidable. If finding prince charming was so easy the first time, we would never truly appreciate finally finding our true love. Unfortunately, dating is far from black and white, and you never know what pit stop or dead end you might hit next. But while you’re speeding to find Mr. Right, there are five speed bumps you’ll encounter on your journey. Here are the five guys you’ll most likely date in your lifetime. The Bad Boy: READ MORE

Spring Football Game

By Allie Gold

What do you miss the most about Spring Break?

By Katie Sullivan

Camo

By Rebekah Hakimian
April 5, 2014 - 7:00am

Army jacket, meet sequins. Army jackets are SO in right now. This feminine touch makes the jacket that much more hip. (Photo Courtesy to one of my Photography Interns.)  READ MORE

Carrie's Closet

By Rebekah Hakimian
April 4, 2014 - 7:00am

These racks of shoes would be something you would see in Carrie Bradshaw’s epic closet from “Sex and the City.” They might not be Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choo, but who can complain when they have a shoe collection like this. (Photo Courtesy to one of my Photography Interns.) READ MORE

Springtime Desserts to Satisfy All Taste Buds

By Lily Feng
April 3, 2014 - 1:00pm

Now that the polar vortex is FINALLY (hopefully) over, we can look forward to spring. Springtime desserts are especially decadent and refreshing, particularly the cakes and pastries from Cream and Flutter and Pekara, but they also put dents in our wallets. Here are two special recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth and save money.      Carnival Cruise’s Chocolate Melting Cake   READ MORE

The “Bikini Bridge” – Internet Hoax Creates Unrealistic Body Ideals

By Mary Alex Japczyk
April 3, 2014 - 7:00am

Work out trends come and go, and women have no problem latching onto the latest body image craze. From defined collarbones to the “thigh-gap,” people are constantly redefining what it means to be skinny, fit and desirable. The latest fad sweeping the Internet is the “bikini bridge,” and is yet another way for girls to feel inadequate in their two-pieces. The biking bridge refers to a gap that forms between a girl’s bikini and stomach when she lies down, caused by protruding hipbones. This trend really took off in early January when a user on 4chan, an anonymous image board website, attempted to make the bikini bridge go viral as an Internet joke. READ MORE

Meet Carrie O’Grady, Army National Guard Combat Medic

By Megan Jones
April 3, 2014 - 7:00am

Before Carrie O’Grady, a UIUC senior majoring in psychology, heads to nursing school, she has bigger dreams: She wants to serve her country. O’Grady was recently sworn into the Army National Guard where she will serve as a combat medic. While this is technically O’Grady’s third year in college, she will be graduating early this spring and heading off to train for the Army in September. She will return in April 2015. READ MORE