Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois Archives

9 Things All Collegiettes with Summer Birthdays Have Thought

By Shannon Giovannone
July 23, 2014 - 12:00pm

Summer birthdays can be a gift or a curse. If you're (un)lucky enough to be born anytime between late May through August, you've thought these things one too many times.   You know the pain of never getting your locker decorated or bringing in cupcakes to school on your birthday.   Never has a little bit of wrapping paper and streamers meant so much. It’s only paper, but to you, that girl was queen for a day and you envied her.     And your friends celebrating your half birthday in the winter just isn’t the same. READ MORE

Don't Be Bored over Break: 3 Summer Craft Ideas

By Charlotte Carroll
July 23, 2014 - 10:00am

You’ve gone to the beach and binge-watched an entire Netflix series in one day. You’ve seen just as many firework displays as possible and now you’re looking for something new to do. The heat has become horrendous and now you may be stuck in a rut indoors, trying to avoid the hot weather. Well, channel your inner artist and turn out some cool new crafts. You can keep them for yourself, give them away as birthday presents or even start working on sorority gifts. Check out these ideas and hit up Pinterest for more inspiration.    Update an Old Mirror   READ MORE

Beyonce Said It Best: One plus One Equals... Two. (Not One!)

By Leah Parekh
July 22, 2014 - 7:00pm

There aren’t many feelings comparable to being in love. The beauty, richness, comfort and just pure fun it adds to life are undeniably fulfilling. You have someone who understands you, your partner in crime that you can do anything with. That said, I think there is one ironically important component necessary to grow and sustain love: having and maintaining a strong individual life.    READ MORE

Worthwhile Drugstore Beauty Finds

By Nora Stanton
July 22, 2014 - 5:30pm

Everybody loves a good beauty splurge once in awhile, but it turns out there are just as many products to fall for from your local drugstore that aren’t so hard on your wallet. Makeup counters at large department stores can be quite daunting when you are being bombarded by overwhelming scents, salespeople and samples. Cosmetic advertising also has a way of attracting just about any girl’s attention. Being a makeup fanatic I often find myself falling into the trap of wandering from counter to counter in department stores and eyeing all of the beautiful packaging and products.   READ MORE

4 Easy Ways to Switch up Your Summer Fitness

By Charlotte Carroll
July 22, 2014 - 4:20pm

It’s that time of year again, ladies. Classes are over, the winter that seemed to last forever has been replaced by a cloudless sky and the days are filled with possibilities. There may be  internships, jobs or volunteer work that needs to be done, but summer is usually more relaxed than all of the stress piled on by a regular semester.    Summer is the perfect chance to use that extra time and soak up all the fun fitness opportunities it provides. It may be tough to find the motivation without the campus gym filled with hotties nearby, but there are plenty of original ideas that can keep collegiettes looking fit for the upcoming return to campus in the fall and help relieve some post-work stress.    Do a Fun Run...

Top Five Lonely Island Summer Jams

By Aaliyah Gibson
July 2, 2014 - 12:00pm

Three words can be said to begin this post: we made it! Yes, through the snow storms and the hectic drizzles with a spice of hail to add to the mix, we made it. Summertime is upon us.   With the summer solstice beginning on the 21st of June this year, I’ve done more summer planning than a momma bird building its nest (don’t judge me for that comparison).   I’ve got bookmarks for articles proclaiming the go-to summer hairstyles, the hottest restaurants to hit in Chicago when you’re getting a midnight craving, every music festival or loud unsettling music that will be played outdoors and a ton of other stuff that my debit card will hate me for once it’s time to leave for campus once again.    READ...

Get Fit This Summer with Nike Training Club Chicago

By Kathy Ruda
June 27, 2014 - 3:05pm

A Chicago summer is characterized by its diverse neighborhood parties and lively summer festivals. Staying motivated during this time isn’t easy, especially when Netflix has become your bestie. But, summer is also the perfect opportunity to get back on your workout grind. Whether you’re looking to burn off all those calories from countless vodka cranberries you drank the the night before or training for a marathon, we all have something we're working to achieve. What better way to make sure you meet your personal goals than with weekly workouts led by professional trainers ready to push you to your limits?   READ MORE

A Collegiette's Guide to the FIFA World Cup

By Aaliyah Gibson
June 26, 2014 - 10:00am

Over the past few weeks, any television, radio, or electronic device possible of carrying sound have had three words circulating it: the World Cup.    Commercials showing soccer players preparing for the game or families getting pumped to  watch together are more common than the sad pet ones, and names like Neymar, Persie, and Ronaldo are becoming household brands.    For the diehard soccer fans, or at least the ones that started watching before 2014, understanding  the game, the rules within it, and how it actually functions isn’t that complicated. For the newbies  who want to get acquainted with the world of soccer, figuring out how the system works, beyond  READ MORE

Meet Campus Cutie: Garrett Gusloff

By Rachel Cordano
June 25, 2014 - 1:04pm

Name: Garrett Gusloff   Year: Senior   Major: Nuclear, Plasma, Radiation Engineer   Hometown: Roscoe, IL   Relationship Status: Single   What's your favorite restaurant on campus? Cravings   Describe your dream girl: Someone who is really laid back and can mak me laugh.   READ MORE

Don't Be Bored over Break: Four Free Things to Do in Chicago This Summer

By Charlotte Carroll
June 20, 2014 - 1:00pm

“Free.” Ahhh, the wonderful word that is magic to a college student’s ears. I’m from Chicago  and have three younger siblings, so I’ve been taught from a young age to utilize all the free  opportunities I can in an expensive city. Whether you want culture, fun in the sun, or just a great  date idea that won’t cost much, here are my favorite ways to save money during the summer in  Chicago.    1. Chicago Park District Activities   One of my all time favorites: you can’t go wrong with a summer night in the park. The Chicago  READ MORE