Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois Archives

Female Issues: Olivia and Mary Jane: The New Generation’s Black Woman and the “Power Couple”

By Markeira Davis
February 28, 2014 - 7:00am

Women everywhere patiently wait for every Tuesday and Thursday evening so that they can watch “Scandal” and “Being Mary Jane.” As much as I enjoy both shows, I dislike their content to the highest degree. Shows like these strip away the morality of successful black women, and women in general. They either are depicted as undesirable, intimidating and “highly selective” or the new common depiction, side chicks. “Being Mary Jane’s” proceeds to tell the tale of a successful black woman that has affairs with married men. Is there no other route? Is that how the high-salary, nicely dressed and solely independent, black woman finds love? Is she always forced to dabble in another woman’s already written love story?...

On the Fringe

By Rebekah Hakimian
February 28, 2014 - 7:00am

The inner hippie in me draws me to want to wear these boots all day, everyday. READ MORE

Meet Campus Celebrity: Saige Hooker, Executive Photographer at Impulse Magazine

By Abigail Solano
February 27, 2014 - 7:00am

Saige Hooker is completing her last year here at UIUC, graduating a year early. As the executive photographer for Impulse Magazine, Saige has been hard at work, and Her Campus had the opportunity to speak to her and learn a little more!  HC: What's your major/ minor? Siage Hooker: Advertising and Public Relations. HC: How/ When did you get involve with Impulse? READ MORE

Mixing Alcohol and Diet Soda Could be Dangerous

By Mary Alex Japczyk
February 26, 2014 - 7:00am

Collegiates are constantly trying to find ways to cut calories and be a little healthier. But no one likes making big sacrifices, so we look for tasty substitutes. When hitting the town and picking our poison each evening, many of us opt for drinks mixed with diet sodas instead of regular in an effort to cut the sugar content.   “I’ve only ever seen girls, never boys, order drinks with diet soda,” Rachel Whiteside, senior at UIUC and a bartender at Joe’s Brewery on campus, said. “I think they use it as a mixer for less calories.” READ MORE

Meet Campus Cutie: Alex Borushek

By Katie Sullivan
February 25, 2014 - 7:00am

Name: Alex Borushek Year: Sophomore Major: Political Science Hometown: Wilmette, IL Greek Affiliation: Phi Delta Theta Relationship Status: On the prowl Celebrity Crush: Alex Morgan What’s something nobody knows about you? I’m an avid fan of “The O.C.” Favorite place to eat on campus? Maize READ MORE

Illini Board “Coffehouse Series” Open Mic Session

By Katie Sullivan

Health and Fitness: How to Make the Perfect Workout Playlist

By Celeste Pollans
February 24, 2014 - 7:00am

No great workout comes without a great playlist. Creating a perfect playlist takes time, focus and a library of great tunes. Great music can carry you through a tough workout by making the time fly and the workout fun. Different types of workouts call for different music. There are different tunes necessary for running, abs, cardio circuits and cooling down. If you’re having a high cardio workout, you may need some pump-up music, but if you’re cooling down, you may want a slower beat.   Running Playlist: READ MORE

What is your favorite way to get in shape for Spring Break?

By Katie Sullivan

Royalty

By Rebekah Hakimian
February 23, 2014 - 7:00am

Pretty Pretty Princess allowed you to feel like royalty with the all the colorful plastic jewelry you could ever want when you were younger. You can still be that princess wearing the mini crown charm from Tiffany.  READ MORE

Jingle all the way

By Rebekah Hakimian
February 21, 2014 - 7:00am

Give your keys the pampering it deserves. The Louis Vuitton Key Pouch will help you drive away in style, while carrying your most important essentials. READ MORE