Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois Archives

Don't Be Bored over Break: Four Free Things to Do in Chicago This Summer

By Charlotte Carroll
June 20, 2014 - 1:00pm

“Free.” Ahhh, the wonderful word that is magic to a college student’s ears. I’m from Chicago  and have three younger siblings, so I’ve been taught from a young age to utilize all the free  opportunities I can in an expensive city. Whether you want culture, fun in the sun, or just a great  date idea that won’t cost much, here are my favorite ways to save money during the summer in  Chicago.    1. Chicago Park District Activities   One of my all time favorites: you can’t go wrong with a summer night in the park. The Chicago  READ MORE

Three Internship Horror Stories and How to Avoid Making the Same Mistakes

By Mia Rose
June 20, 2014 - 12:25pm

Our days of frolicking in the summer sun and laying poolside every day are sadly  over. As we age into our twenties, it is time to enter - cue gasp here - the working world. It’s  time to trade those bathing suits for business suits and pool days for work days!    Walking into the office for the first time can be heart clenching; mistakes are often made.  During our interning years, it’s imperative to remember that this time is synonymous with learning and sometimes that means messing up. The good thing about mistakes while you intern is it is easy to correct them... or at least have an entertaining story to tell.    READ MORE

Film: Eight Netflix Movies to Save for a Rainy Day

By Victoria Robertson
June 19, 2014 - 1:00pm

Although summer isn’t necessarily prime film-seeking season, there are still those occasional (or frequent, since we are in Illinois) rainy days where a bucket of popcorn, some chocolates, and Netflix are the perfect cure. So for those days, here is a list of ten Netflix films worth checking out. 1. “Safe Haven:” Released in 2013, this is the most recent Netflix film on the list. Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel (as well as “How I Met Your Mother’s” Cobie Smulders) star in the romantic drama based on a namesake Nicholas Sparks novel. So if you’re in a sappy mood and in need of a beautiful love story, all bets are on “Safe Haven.”    READ MORE

Freshman Blog: Five Things I Learned My Freshman Year

By Charlotte Carroll
June 19, 2014 - 7:00am

As I’m writing this, sitting in the open lobby of my residence hall, it’s hard to believe that almost nine months have passed since my life completely changed on move-in day. Most don’t think that it will happen, but I’ve grown dramatically since that first day. Here are five things I learned throughout my freshman year. It’s liberating and exhilarating. READ MORE

What are you most excited for this summer?

By Rachel Cordano

Maxed Out

By Rebekah Hakimian
May 17, 2014 - 7:00am

I think my ears have finally reached maximum capacity. I choose to wear diamonds, flowers and stars to mix things up. When my mom took me to get my ears pierced when I was six, I don’t think she expected it to turn into a piercing addiction.  READ MORE

Spring 2014 Finals Survival Kit

By Allie Gold
May 16, 2014 - 2:00pm

It’s that dreaded time again – finals week. We’re all running on no sleep and a lot of caffeine. The only way I know I can get through this is with study breaks. Thankfully, Her Campus has sent us the Spring 2014 Survival Kit full of goodies from our great partners Chipotle, Luna and Popchips!
READ MORE

Animal Instincts

By Rebekah Hakimian
May 16, 2014 - 7:00am

Diamonds are a girls best friend, especially when they’re vintage, all natural and bring good luck. When an elephant’s trunk is turned up, you know the good Karma is coming your way.  READ MORE

Meet Campus Celeb: Sarah Madonia, President of Illinois Dance Marathon

By Nicole Galanti
May 15, 2014 - 7:00am

Four years ago, Sarah Madonia found her love for Illinois Dance Marathon at her first marathon freshman year. From then on, she continued to support IDM from different positions, climbing her way onto the executive board, until she reached her dream of president her senior year. Find out more on Sarah’s journey to lead IDM to outstanding things! HC: What exactly is Dance Marathon? READ MORE

Illinois Commencement Weekend

By Charlotte Carroll