Andrea Medina, Resident Advisor and Time Management Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
We’ve all heard the popular saying about success in college: you can get good grades, enough sleep or have a social life, but you can only pick two. This week’s Campus Celebrity, Andrea Medina, is testing this rule. A senior at the University of Illinois, Andrea is pursuing a dual degree in broadcast journalism and political science, is an active member in Greek life on campus and a resident advisor. Read below to see how this superwoman is making a name for herself in the media and political science world (and still finds time to keep the romance alive with her boyfriend of almost eight years)!

Her Campus: Tell us a little about what you’re involved with on campus.

Andrea Medina: I’m getting a dual degree in broadcast journalism and political science, and because they’re not in the same college, I have to fulfill 120 hours of credit for both major. Besides that, I am a resident advisor for transfer students in Hopkins Hall, a sister in the Sigma Lambda Gamma sorority and a member of Alpha Phi Omega, which is a service fraternity. 

HC: What made you interested in journalism as a possible profession?

AM: My dad is a photojournalist so I’ve literally been surrounded with it my whole life. He works for WGN, and he actually won an Emmy in 2011 for the pictures he took of the huge blizzard we had in Chicago that winter. The media world has been a part of my life for a really long time, so in high school I decided that’s what I wanted to do professionally. And, two years ago I actually had the chance to intern at WGN where I worked on a news segment called Adelante Chicago, which focuses on the city’s Hispanic community.

HC: That’s pretty cool! Have you been involved with any journalism activities on campus?

AM: I participate in J.A.M.S., which is an organization on campus that stands for journalism, advertising and media students. Through J.A.M.S. I’ve been able to work for a program called SeeYou Weekly, which is a TV show on YouTube. I have practiced being a news anchor, a reporter and I’ve even gotten to go behind the camera. It’s really valuable that I’ve gotten a taste of each position. I really enjoy conducting interviews though, because I have always wanted to be involved with hard news. Basically, any type of conflict that is going on around campus is what I like to cover. 

HC: Have you had the chance to apply these skills to any other projects? 

AM: I worked on a documentary last semester called “The Taste of Gullah,” which was created by Professor Janice Collins, who teaches in the College of Media. She took a DNA test and discovered that her ancestors are from Sierra Leone, so she actually went to Africa and filmed everything that she learned there. Basically, it was a journey she went on to find out who she really is. I just love learning from her and I thought this would be a good opportunity to work with her on a professional level and learn about how to be a well-rounded journalist.

HC: It seems like you are involved with a million things on campus, do you have any tips for how to manage such a busy schedule?

AM: The good thing is that I only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I have a lot of time to do whatever I need to do during the week. I try and dedicate the weekends to APO, because I need to make sure I’m keeping up with my volunteering. As far as RA stuff, I try and do things during the week and cater to my residents’ needs, like if they want somebody to talk to or want to schedule a group event. Google calendar is great. That’s my best tip. You have to chose between sleeping and going out with friends sometimes. I’m at school and I need to take advantage of all the opportunities I’ve been given, so sometimes that means I shouldn’t go out. But, things like APO and my sorority still give me the opportunity to socialize while getting work done.

HC: What do you see as the role that female journalists currently play in the media? Do you have any advice for UIUC journalism ladies?

AM: It’s tough out there as a Latina journalist. Latina journalists are always sexualized in the media so being an example of a non-sexual figure as a woman is really important to me. With the opportunities I’ve had here at U of I, it’s helped me become a better woman and a better journalist. My advice to other women is to seek guidance from women journalists here at U of I and elsewhere, because they can offer a lot of support. 

HC: I hear you’ve been with your boyfriend Alejandro for about eight years! How do you find time to be in a relationship when you’re so busy? 

AM: Honestly, we make sure we have each other in our Google calendars. Usually when we do spend time together it’s in the evening when we’re doing homework. He’s also in APO, so whenever I sign up for service events he does also. It’s tough! It’s kind of like adding another three hour class to my day. The biggest key is communication. If you’re not communicating you won’t be on top of things.

Photos courtesy of Andrea Medina

Sophomore at the University of Illinois. Majoring in journalism and (hopefully) minoring in sociology. Tortilla chip enthusiast. Obsessed with The Mindy Project, Game of Thrones, and corgis.
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.