Amelia Mugavero, Feature Twirler for the Marching Illini

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you have ever been to an Illinois football game, you’ve probably seen her. Bedazzled in orange and blue, Amelia Mugavero steals the stage during every halftime show she performs in. But her grace on the field isn’t her only skill. This talented and crazy busy collegiette has experiences in activities all across campus, and this week she’s sharing some of her unique experiences with us.

Her Campus: Can you tell us about all of the activities you’re involved in?

Amelia Mugavero: I am a junior majoring in broadcast journalism student and I am the feature twirler for the Marching Illini and member of Gamma Phi Beta. I am also involved in competing in the Miss America Organization as Miss Central Illinois 2015. I am an intern for WCIA Channel 3 News in Champaign, co-host for the campus TV show “See You Weekly” and I am a volunteer and spokesperson for the Girl Scouts of Central Illinois. I pretty much have no free time, haha.

HC: How did you become involved in twirling?

AM: My mom was a twirler so it was only natural that she would want me to try it. However, I don’t think that she was expecting me to love it so much and advance as quickly as I did. We actually competed as a pair and won first place at our Texas state competition. Her undying support has made me stick to twirling all these years. Never did I think that picking up a baton at four years old would lead me to travel the world and twirl on a Big Ten college field! 

HC: What was your favorite memory of performing on the field?

AM: My first game at Illinois will always be my most treasured memory. I remember walking onto the field and looking around and have a sense of complete calm about me. Everything felt right and I was just purely excited and happy because I knew I was finally where I belonged. 

HC: You’re also involved in pageantry. Can you tell us more about this?

AM: I competed in a a few of small pageants when I was seven or eight but this is actually the first year I have ever competed as an adult in a pageant. A lot of my twirler friends are involved and have been successful in the Miss America Organization so I decided I would give it a try once I had time. I competed for the title of Miss Central Illinois this past January, several days after performing with the Marching Illini at the Heart of Dallas Bowl. And I ended up winning the crown! Though it was completely unexpected, my journey with this title has been amazing and such a blessing. I will be competing for the title of Miss Illinois in June! 

HC: What do you think about the negative stigma attached to the world of pageantry, and what do you want people to know about it? 

AM: Most people think pageants are like they see in movies or “Toddlers and Tiaras” – all glitz and glam and commercialized. However, it is so much more than that. When I gave it a try and won the crown, I learned that the Miss America Organization is a scholarship based pageant that strives to make you become the best well-rounded person you can be. There are so many phases to the competition that they judge you on. First, you have to speak to the panel of judges for a nine and a half-minute interview before you even step on stage. Then you are judged on your fitness and physique during the swimsuit portion, and how well you can think on your feet when answering an on-stage question regarding current events. Talent of course, is how well you can perform your talent, mine being baton twirling. Even beyond that, whoever wins the crown must have shown the judges that they are so much more than a girl in a dress, but a women that can demonstrate leadership, poise and the morals and character traits to be a good role model. 

HC: How do you think these activities have contributed to your pursuit as a broadcast journalism major?

AM: I feel that my entire life has been preparing me for my chosen career. First, getting to twirl in front of ten thousand people every home game has proven that I have no stage fright. I have always been comfortable in front of crowds and I can thank twirling and all my years on the dance stage for that. Furthermore, competing in the Miss America Organization has helped me practice and hone the skills that I need in my broadcast career. Not only have I learned how to look and dress, but I have to be well-spoken, stay up-to-date on current events and make sure that I am professional and on time when presenting myself as Miss Central Illinois and as the Feature Illini Band Twirler or at work. All these qualities are just making me better prepared for the future that lies ahead!

HC: What activity are you most proud of?

AM: I’m proud of everything I have accomplished so far. In college I have really grown and expanded my experiences, such as taking an intern position at a professional news station with WCIA this semester. I also volunteer with the Girl Scouts of Central Illinois and speak to girls about leadership and service. However, the opportunities that my years in twirling has given me probably makes me the most proud. The fact that I have stuck with twirling for so long and being able to be twirling on a college field, in Ireland and soon in New York City for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is something I would have never imagined would be possible! 

HC: Anything else we should know?

AM: Yes, I am very involved and very busy. However I wouldn’t trade that for the world. I am truly blessed to be attending school at U of I and to be representing central Illinois and my pursuit to represent the great state as the next Miss Illinois.  It is my hope that all who know me or soon to know me will keep me in their thoughts and prayers as I prepare and work hard to make all these dreams come true, not only for myself but also for everyone who has believed in me.

Photos courtesy of Amelia Mugavero

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.