6 Best Things about UIUC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
As an Illinois student, I can attest that being an Illini is one of the most fantastic things ever. Here are six reasons why Illinois is the best place in the world to spend your four years in college!

The People 

College is nothing without the people you have along for the ride. As much I use this line, the people I’ve met have completely changed my life. And they will do the same for you. They’ll be the floor mates, the classmates, the friends and yes, even the professors. They’ll open your eyes in a class discussion, they’ll make you change your opinions during a dinner conversation and if you find the right ones, they’ll be with you every step of the way. 

The School Spirit

Whether we’re winning or losing, you can’t deny that Illinois students love repping the orange and blue. Regardless of the day, you can always find plenty of kids in their favorite Illini gear. Don’t mess with us about our school pride because it runs deep. So hail to the orange, hail to the blue, hail Alma Mater, ever so true! 

The Quad

A people watching playground, something is always happening on the quad. Whether you want free samples, tight roping, sunbathing, protests or a break between classes, the quad has it all and then some. It is a mix of peace and utter chaos as the day wears on, but be sure to enjoy every excuse you can for spending time there. Though similar to parks in big cities, a college quad is unlike any other space in the world. And Illinois has one of the best. 

The Opportunities

Stereotypical as it is, college is what you make it. And thank goodness Illinois has plenty to choose from. Get involved in as much or as little as you like. From the student newspaper to joining the October Lover’s club (trust me, that’s a real and wonderful thing), there is never of shortage of chances to find something you’re passionate about. I even had the opportunity to go to Belgium and France over spring break!

The Social Life

Illinois is known across the country for its biggest party: Unofficial. Don’t get us wrong, this event is super exciting and definitely a can’t miss. But we are more than just one weekend in March. Every weekend and week day is filled with fun. From frat parties to the bars, the chances are endless and there is something to match everyone’s taste. Themed events such as Hawaiian parties, barn dances and even more make the social scene that more exciting.

The Towns

While campus certainly seems to turn into its own neighborhood, we are extremely fortunate to have the Champaign and Urbana downtown areas just a bus ride away. On the days when college students are just too much for you, escape into these areas and explore a different side to campus. There are great entertainment and dining options for when life at the university does not meet your needs. 

Have more favorites that make Illinois the place to be? Comment below!
College! Can anything be more exciting! Born and raised on the southside of Chicago, I went to high school in the city so coming to the middle of the cornfields is a big change, but one I am very excited for. When I’m not busy stressing about school, I enjoy reading, having crazy adventures with friends, and just living to the fullest. (Insert one of my numerous favorite Pintrest quotes here) Fresh out of high school, I’m ready to report on all things collegiate and take you along my wild and sure to be bumpy road that is freshman year! 
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.