5 Adorable DIY Decorations for Your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Decorations can make any industrial looking dorm or apartment room feel like home. So, here are five easy DIY projects that even the least artistic person can do that will truly improve your campus home. 

1.  Canvasses with Quotes 

Go to your nearest craft store and pick up your desired sized canvass (just keep in mind what you’ll want to put on it before you go so you don’t get one that is too small for your quote). Then, you can paint your canvass a base color. After that dries you can paint your quote on or you can just use a sharpie to write your quote. If you are feeling more creative, you could draw something or even incorporate your sororities letters! Whatever you choose to put on your canvass will be sure to lighten up you room!

2. Picture Board

Can’t decide what pictures to display in room? Why not just use all of them! A picture board can display tons of pictures and it’s much easier to hang than a bunch of picture frames or printed photos. All you need is a cork board and some thumb tacks. Then, you can just tack up all of the pictures you want. If you want to be a little more creative you can cover the board in fabric and attach it to the board with hot glue or staples. Then, you can use elastic and create a criss-crossing pattern so you can slide your pictures in without putting holes in them! The easiest way to attach the elastic is with staples (be sure to stretch the elastic tightly across the board or the pictures will slide out!) If the elastic is too much hassle, you can always just use thumb tacks! 

3. Lights

Chances are that you have a string of lights somewhere in your home that you can bring up to school. If not, you can get a basic string of lights from your hardware store. If you want something a little more decorative you can attach small lanterns around the lights or other decorations. Just be careful not to attach anything flammable because these lights will heat up! 

4. Letter

A letter can be a great way to decorate your room! Plus it can remind a pesky roommate whose side of the room it is. All you have to do is go to a craft store and buy a blank letter. There are then so many different possibilities to decorate your letter. For example you can paint it, glue on different ribbons, or even beads. All of these things can be found at a craft store. Just let your creativity flow and you will be able to create a unique letter for your room!

5. Pencil Cup

Your desk is one of the last places you might think can be decorated, but you really should.  For one, you can decorate your pen/pencil cup. This can be as simple as putting some fabric around it or painting a design. If you don’t have a pencil cup you can simple take a tin can which makes for a very affordable and environmentally friendly decoration.

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter