4 Tips for Staying Healthy and Fit throughout the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

After spending the summer and first few weeks of the semester working out, eating right and actually relaxing … it’s that time of year again where junk food and staying indoors are way more appealing. Before you freak out about gaining the freshman fifteen or losing your summer body due to the stress from midterms, here are four simple tips on how to stay fit and healthy this fall.

1. On Your Feet or to a Beat

Don’t like the gym? Don’t sweat it! Whether it’s walking to class or dancing around in your room, get up and start moving. No matter where you are going, try to walk there instead of driving or taking a bus; you can even make time for a quick jog around campus. Get your friends involved and make it a group thing. Go for a quick swim or jog together, everyone knows it’s easier to work out when you have a partner. Challenge yourself to find just 20 minutes a few times a week to get active.

2. Healthy Choices Don’t Have to Be Hard

I’m the first to line up for my late night Second Story pizza and Insomnia cookie, but do I really need it? Focus on three healthy and filling meals a day with little snacks in between. No one is saying pizza is a bad thing, but moderation is key. Pair the pizza with a side salad or bowl of fruit instead! You can even top your froyo with fruit as opposed to candy, whatever you like best! Most importantly, remember to keep yourself full, or else you’ll be more inclined to reach for those unhealthy alternatives.

3. Create a Cheat Day

Dessert is a treat … we don’t need it every night! With that being said, create a cheat day. Pick one day every other week where you will allow yourself to go a little crazy with snacks. Make a game out of your cheat day. For every ten classes you walk to and from, reward yourself with a small blizzard or an extra oreo! A little sugar can’t hurt every once in a while. We all should acknowledge and indulge our sweet tooth, but only every so often.

4. Don’t Worry, Be Happy

My last, and most important tip: college is stressful enough, so don’t add to that by worrying about how you look. As important as it is to be physically healthy, mental health is just as important. Don’t feel like you need to constantly be working out or watching what you eat. It’s healthy for our body to relax and lounge, too. Keep a positive mindset, and do what makes you feel best. As cliché as it sounds, we are all unique and beautiful in our own way; don’t forget that.

As the saying goes: look good, feel good! You have the power to take advantage of that! The key to a successful fit and healthy body is doing what works for you. So try to push yourself a little farther on your next run, allow yourself to indulge occasionally and most importantly, relax. You look great just the way you are!

Photo sources:

http://www.thenewage.co.za/111244-12-53-Working_out_with_friends_is_more…

http://www.subzeroyogurtbar.com/news/healthy-eating/

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Feel-More-Confident-Gym-34732317

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.